Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
River returns to the desert in Israel

blueberries

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 4:32 pm

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:08 pm
Wow! I found this unbelievably beautiful! Thank you for posting!

ROFL

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 8:13 pm
Did someone open up a dam somewhere to make the water flow?

ss2

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 12:52 pm
Truly amazing!

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 12:59 pm
For some reason blueberries post is coming up blank by me can someone repost please?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 1:02 pm
ROFL wrote:
Did someone open up a dam somewhere to make the water flow?

Cool! I'm guessing it's a wash, or dry creek bed that flash floods occasionally after rain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.....ek%29

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 3:35 pm
What confuses me is that the people appear to be waiting, expecting this flash flood as if they knew it was going to be staged at just this moment. Maybe they got a call from someone far upstream that the flood was headed their way and they grabbed their cameras. In their shoes I'd have been heading for high ground, since the magnitude of this kind of thing is unpredictable. If there was an unusual volume of rain, the stream could turn deadly.

This kind of short-lived "river" is common in areas like the Negev, where brief but torrential rains can't soak into the earth fast enough and instead race down gullies called wadis. The "rivers" are only temporary, soon dry up, and by late spring or summer are only a memory. Similar things happen in the American Southwest, where streams fed by both rains and snowmelt can wash away anything and anyone caught in their path.

After such a flood, masses of flowers and plants that were just waiting for a bit of water spring up literally overnight, and the desert blooms--briefly but amazingly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links