Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbat hagadol - chulent

freedz

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 8:27 pm
I'm preparing my food for the next few Shabbat's before Pessach and freezing them. I will have everything in tins and just warm them up in the hot plate, any ideas on how to keep my chulent in a tin on the hot plate without burning the tin or the chulent??
I'd rather not start Pessach earlier then necessary and my kids so look forward to their chulent! Very Happy

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 8:47 pm
What about freezing cholent in a crockpot bag and warming it in a crockpot? I've never done it that way from the freezer, but I bet it would work.

freedz

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 9:33 pm
Imasinger, thanks for your reply.
Since my sink will be ready for Pessach I only want to use disposable items, that's why I want my chulent in a tin, but I don't want it to burn because the tin is so thin.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 9:38 pm
Can you purchase one of those disposable pots? They are thicker than your average tin. Put in raw ingredients and lots of water so it doesn't burn.
But if it were me, I would use the crockpot with a liner bag and wash it out in the bathroom after Shabbos, since the kitchen is done.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 9:53 pm
I think I"m making mine outside of the kitchen in my chametz crock pot. I"m going to make cholent without the barley (because table and chairs are already cleaned). I'm going to line it with foil, then put in a cholent bag. This way I can just toss the lining, rinse it in bathroom or outside, And if needed I can wrap it in a garbage bag and put away until after Pesach to clean.

busydev

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:01 pm
make a pesachdik cholent. no beans, lots of meat and potatos.

chaya35

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:50 pm
When my hotplate gets to hot I take a cookie sheet and turn it over and put the foil pan ontop. I've done this with chicken soup never tried chulent.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:48 am
I'm also using my chamatz crock pot on Shabbot HaGadol. I'll probably put it outside on the merpesit and wash it out in the bathroom sink after.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note