Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Keeping 4 Month old entertained

amyisroel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:10 am
First time mother here.
How do I keep my 4 month old entertained? He seems to be jumping out of his skin, looks like he is just about ready to start running arround, or to walk out of his swing, or to crawl around the house, but he obviously cant!
I have some toys for him, but after a few minutes he gets bored. He likes to be held and spoken to and played with all the time, which is great, besides for when I need to do things!

so I would appreciate any advice on how to keep him entertained and stimulated..
also, what toys are age approriate and will keep him stimulated?
he's also teething a lot so advice for good teethers would also be great!

rb10d

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:08 am
I am looking to get an exersaucer for mu baby, think he would love it as he will be upright- maybe you should try that

amyisroel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:47 am
Whats the difference between an exersaucer and a jumper?

relish

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:50 am
How about putting him in a carrier, forward facing, so he can watch you while you do your housework.

amyisroel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:59 am
thanks for the idea! but I dont know, how would I be able to do anything with him jumping all over me?
also, I work from home, so I need ideas for things/toys that he can keep himself entertained with, to some extent anyhow...

MMCH

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:31 am
my babies were like this.
I used to laugh how should we go from the swing, to the bouncy seat, to the play mat in like 15 minute intervals.

what worked for my second, was to keep her in her car seat, with the wheels attached, and a toy hanging over, and she would stand with my in the kitchen, and I would talk to her the whole time while also wheeling.

amyisroel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:55 am
whats a carseat with wheels attached?
such a thing might be a good idea. I guess its something like the excersaucer like someone else said. I dont have space for big bulky things though. so whats this wheels on the carseat thing?
also, what kind of toys are good for this age. he likes to play with toys. I just dont know what to buy!

mandr

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:17 pm
At that age my baby played with a playing mat that has an arch over it with toys dangling down. Also I would put him in a seat while I cooked or did chores and I would narrate everything to him Smile It's great for language and social development so I don't mind talking to "myself"! Also I would sometimes put him in the crib with a mobile attached. Taking him shopping is fun too. Now my baby is 5 months old and he turns over so there's no point in the playing mat anymore really since he turns over but doesn't know how to get back onto his back. I laid out my own "mat" made of foam puzzle pieces with ABC punch-outs. So this way he doesn't have to lay on the floor itself. I put easy to hold toys and teethers onto the mat so he can always grab onto something.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:25 pm
I also worked from home with a 4 month old, a few times, but its almost 2 years since the last time and I already can't remember what I did.

- I have a jumperoo and excersizer. Check with your dr before starting at 4 months to make sure your child is ready. Don't leave in for too long. I liked the excersizer better, I felt it had more activities and for the jumperoo you need a good door frame, which I don't and it scratched the one door frame that I did use it on. Plus my older kids also had fun playing with the toys on the excersizer but would do dangerous stunts with the jumperoo.

- Play mat - Do belly time with fun toys in front. And then on back looking at toys in the arches.

- Swing time.

- You can try sitting - I forget what age I started this but I would propt the baby up with some blankets and put some toys in the front. Until he could support himself it didn't work too well, and sometimes the toys were out of reach - but it was a change.

- My desk is right next to a patio door. I would open the door and place my baby in his carseat or carraige right at the open door, (it was within my reach) and let him enjoy some fresh air.

- Nap time - at this age they really should be napping a lot.

amyisroel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:37 pm
Thanks all for your replies.
I like the idea of an excersaucer but dont have place for it. I do put him sometimes into the jumper, but he doesnt really know yet how to jump. at this point he just keeps himself busy chewing at the seat.
I keep on switching him from the swing, to the bouncer, to the jumper, to the floor... he gets bored so fast!! I used to do the mobile in the crib too, but he doesnt really want it anymore. he likes to be more active.
I like the idea of the puzzle mat. what toys are good at this age?

mandr

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:11 pm
amyisroel wrote:
Thanks all for your replies.
I like the idea of an excersaucer but dont have place for it. I do put him sometimes into the jumper, but he doesnt really know yet how to jump. at this point he just keeps himself busy chewing at the seat.
I keep on switching him from the swing, to the bouncer, to the jumper, to the floor... he gets bored so fast!! I used to do the mobile in the crib too, but he doesnt really want it anymore. he likes to be more active.
I like the idea of the puzzle mat. what toys are good at this age?

I have this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kids.....57108
I love it because it's lightweight and has tons of different textures/noises! Easy for baby to hold and bring to his mouth.

I have one of those mini plastic books meant for the bathtub I think. But it's interesting to play with and it has a beepy thingie inside.

And a Sassy teether thingie but it's hard for him to pick it up since it's too heavy. Attached to it are some rings that came with the playing mat that has the arch (where the toys dangled from).

I have these foam pieces: http://www.toysrus.com/product.....76699
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics