Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why does everyone want to push kids before they're ready?
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 1:41 pm
I just go with the flow when it comes to newborns. Works best!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 1:48 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I do. But I think that before anyone recommends intervention, they need to ask themselves- am I doing this for the child, or for me? Does my child care about this "delay? Or would he, if he was old enough to understand? Or is it for the sake of my ego? A child who is unhappy because he can't communicate, or can't swallow properly, or can't get a long with with others and make friends is a good candidate. But it does irk me when people (usually mothers) chew their nails off because their kid isn't riding a two wheeler and the neighbor's kid is. I just don't like when people intervene for bragging rights, I guess. I know it's something of a generalization, but that's how I feel.

This is a very interesting perspective. What do you think about a 2.5 child who is perfectly happy to lie on the floor and turn pages in books for hours, because his low muscle tone and weakness make it difficult for him to run around and play the way kids usually do. All of his peers in playgroup are interacting and engaging and developing all kinds of skills, and he is not participating in that. He isn't unhappy, because he doesn't know what he's missing. Or maybe he is unhappy, but the ability to express it is way beyond him. What would you do with a child like that?

What do you think about an autistic child who is locked in his world and has no interest in coming out of it. With floortime therapy, that child eventually comes to truly enjoy engaging with his family. If he hadn't received the therapy, again, he wouldn't have known what he was missing. What would you do with a child like that?

ocee

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:32 pm
Lol... and here I was thinking that I was special to attract others UNwanted advice!
My experiences include people stopping Mr in the street to tell me that my baby cannot breathe while being carried in a sling, that his strange shaped head will sort itself out and I shouldn't worry (I hadn't noticed that his head was 'strange' Confused ), and been asked why 5.5 month baby isn't crawling yet... just to mention a few.....
I think people see a new mum and just feel they MUST make sure to give her their opinion less she do something unconventional *gasp*

Maybe we should get newborns to read baby development books to make sure they doing all by the book Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics