Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do these things expire?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:29 pm
Nail Polish remover
Epsom salt
Calamine lotion

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:29 pm
No. Calamine lotion might dry out and get thick, but you can restore it by adding a bit of sterile water and shaking well.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:05 pm
they can stay a lifetime in your closet

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:39 pm
Good thing you're anonymous. This is sensitive info.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:05 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Good thing you're anonymous. This is sensitive info.
LOL LOL LOL

You never know. OP might have been shmoozing with her sister/neighbor/coworker/mother about stuff she found in the medicine chest while cleaning for Pesach and have asked the same question. That could "out" her if the other person is on imamother.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:12 pm
zaq wrote:
LOL LOL LOL

You never know. OP might have been shmoozing with her sister/neighbor/coworker/mother about stuff she found in the medicine chest while cleaning for Pesach and have asked the same question. That could "out" her if the other person is on imamother.

Good point, as always. I'm gonna be suspicious now though of anyone who offers me nail polish remover. I'll be like "How old is this? Because someone posted on imamother asking about expiration dates, and it could be anyone!"

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:23 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Good point, as always. I'm gonna be suspicious now though of anyone who offers me nail polish remover."

Eh, it's only a problem if you plan to drink it. Then it has to be fresh or it won't taste right. It'll still work for removing nail polish well past the expiraton date.

PSA: You do realize I'm being facetious, right? nail polish remover is toxic and definitely not for human consumption.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:26 pm
zaq wrote:
PSA: You do realize I'm being facetious, right? nail polish remover is toxic and definitely not for human consumption.

I'm gonna write that down.

rikkik

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:41 am
what abt medications? are they really dangerous if they are expired or is it just a bureaucracy thing bec companies don't want to get sued, or want to make more money...

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Nail Polish remover
Epsom salt
Calamine lotion

10 years later and I bet they’re still in the closet collecting dust.

schoolbus

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:48 am
If poison expires is it no longer poisonous?? Scratching Head

rikkik

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:51 am
rikkik wrote:
what abt medications? are they really dangerous if they are expired or is it just a bureaucracy thing bec companies don't want to get sued, or want to make more money...

this was a serious question- I am cleaning out my medicine cabinet (midwinter vacation excitement) and I don't know what to keep/throw out

ddmom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:55 am
rikkik wrote:
this was a serious question- I am cleaning out my medicine cabinet (midwinter vacation excitement) and I don't know what to keep/throw out

My friend throws out anything that's expired. I assume it's fine and keep everything unless it changed color or texture! LOL
I'm assuming reality is somewhere in between!

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:06 pm
Don't wanna derail this thread but I see OP was answered.
What about kitchen items that don't have an expiration date and are barely used like sesame oil, corn syrup.
When would you dump them?
I had quite a few items I just dumped cuz they were sitting in my pantry for way too long.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:10 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Good point, as always. I'm gonna be suspicious now though of anyone who offers me nail polish remover. I'll be like "How old is this? Because someone posted on imamother asking about expiration dates, and it could be anyone!"

No need to be sarcastic

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:46 pm
rikkik wrote:

My uncle (a retired surgeon) claimed that was only so the drug companies could make more money.

Most medications sealed in the original packaging are good for at least a year beyond the expiry date. Liquids deteriorate more quickly, so you need to be more careful. If the packing is broken, it will also deteriorate more rapidly.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:23 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Don't wanna derail this thread but I see OP was answered.
What about kitchen items that don't have an expiration date and are barely used like sesame oil, corn syrup.
When would you dump them?
I had quite a few items I just dumped cuz they were sitting in my pantry for way too long.

You taste the items.

bakingmom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:32 pm
I once went to the dr for something, he prescribed me medication that I had previously been prescribed. I mentioned that I had some but it was expired so had'nt taken it, he said the worst that can happen is that it wont be as effective but its not dangerous.

acemom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:14 pm
Pantry staples that I don't use on a weekly/monthly basis, I write the date it was opened on the bottle or box.
If I find it more than a year later, I usually dump before the next Pesach.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:20 pm
acemom wrote:
Pantry staples that I don't use on a weekly/monthly basis, I write the date it was opened on the bottle or box.
If I find it more than a year later, I usually dump before the next Pesach.

Mt attitude is that if it expired more than a few months ago, I'm not using it enough to justify the space it takes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics