Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you wash shmatas?
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:39 pm
I use detergent and oxyclean along with hot water. Sometimes I do them twice.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:45 pm
boro parker wrote:
separate load for them on hot water with bleach.

same here

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:54 pm
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on how frugal I'm feeling, how full my rag bag is , how busy I am and how filthy or tattered the rags are. When I do wash them, I use hot water and lots of bleach, which doesn't make the rags white again but kills any germs. I have my own wash machine so I don't mind "wasting" a load on just rags.

mfb

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:25 pm
wash in towel load

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:47 pm
Yes. As others describe, separate with hot water and lots of soap and (in our house non-chlorine) bleach. My mother takes it a step further and runs the machine again empty before putting her clothes or towels into the machine.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:55 pm
What greenfire said--rinse them by hand in the bathroom sink and hang to dry.
Or throw them out and raid your dh's underwear drawer or your T-shirt drawer. You both probably have some disreputable old undershirts or cotton T-shirts (only 100% cotton will work) that should have been retired long ago and would welcome a second career as cleaning cloths. Cut them up into rectangles, both to make them easier to use and to ensure that nobody rescues them and puts them back in the drawer!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:29 am
Before Hurricane Sandy flooded my basement, I would do a small shmatta load every time I (or my cleaning lady) cleaned the house. Now that I have no washing machine, I refuse to spend money to do a load of shmattas at the laundromat. I save up a couple of weeks worth of shmattas and wash them at my parents or my in-laws when we go visit on a Sunday.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:31 am
zaq wrote:
What greenfire said--rinse them by hand in the bathroom sink and hang to dry.
Or throw them out and raid your dh's underwear drawer or your T-shirt drawer. You both probably have some disreputable old undershirts or cotton T-shirts (only 100% cotton will work) that should have been retired long ago and would welcome a second career as cleaning cloths. Cut them up into rectangles, both to make them easier to use and to ensure that nobody rescues them and puts them back in the drawer!

That brings back memories! Growing up, my mom would have my sister and me dust all the furniture with my dad's old underwear and undershirts. They were so soft they were practically threadbare, and they didn't leave lint! (Great for windows and mirrors, too.)

wifenmother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:23 am
smile4 wrote:
There's bleach in them. So I guess the question really boils down to, what's a better use for my money?
Option A: Spend (either $1.50 or $3) to wash them, also wastes water.
Option B: Throw them out and spend $$ on more cloths/paper towels.

I'd suggest you wash them in the sink and hang them to dry. Personally I wash my shmatas in a separate load with hot water, but then I have many more shmatas than you each time my house is cleaned.

lfab

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:03 pm
I would do 1 separate load every few weeks. So stock up on some more rags, hang these to dry then place them in a bag. Do this each week and wash them every 3 or 4 weeks (or whenever you feel you have enough for it to be worth it) in their own load.

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:10 pm
I wash mine with sheet and towels and have never had any problem. The only ones I throw out are the ones that were used to clean the over. That oven cleaner is so toxic.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry