Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbat candles-- olive oil or candle sticks?

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:57 am
Hi, Ladies-

My husband grew up watching his mother light her shabbat candles with olive oil. I did this too for about a year but switched to high quality shabbos candle sticks because it would upset me a great deal when the olive oil didn't burn completely. After every shabbat I was always left pouring out unused olive oil (that's what I was told to do with it. as I was told, it couldn't be reused). Sometimes the olive oil wouldn't even burn that long because the wick would wouldn't stay afloat and I would watch it sink down and burn out too quickly. Drove me crazy.

So now I'm left with my husband who feels it is more proper to honor Shabbat with olive oil. I just can't see myself ever going bank to oil because I want my candles to burn and leave little to nothing behind. This oil business just isn't making me feel right.

What does everyone else do and why?

I hope I am posting I the right forum.

I believe the halacha is that candle sticks are made so well today that the flame produced is just as good or better than olive oil. My question isn't just based on halacha though. I want to know what most people use and why.

Thank you!

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:10 am
How would he feel about the clear shabbos oil? Burns completely.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:18 am
I second the clear paraffin oil, it burns cleanly and I never have any left. I thimk it is the most beautiful of all the options I've used, olive oil, candles and paraffin, we both love it.

But if you use a long wick, you shouldn't have regular olive oil left either, I never have unless they have blown out or some disaster. Maybe try a different type of wick.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:23 am
I use both.

It seems like you are using the floating wicks, those are awful. If you want to continue with oil, you'll need to experiment a lot with different wicks and glasses until you find one that works for you.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:51 am
OP Here-

I'm thrilled toga be such good advice. I didn't know about shabbos oil. I might try that. I'm also using the floating wicks which I guess are the first problem. You've all done a great job helping me. Thank you so much!!!

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:58 am
http://www.eichlers.com/replac......html

I use these wicks. Never had a problem.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:06 am
I originally used candles and for a reason switched to olive oil which I hate. I asked my Rav if I can go back to candles as olive oil is more mehudar and I was told no. I do know people who wanted to switch back so the majority they light is candles but they still light two with oil.

This is my experience.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:07 pm
Candles started around 1850, if not before. They're not kosher only today. My mom, grandma, great grandmas... chassidish and Sefardi, lit with candles. So does my Yekke MIL. Everyone lit 2. Zehu. I light with candles, 2.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:50 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Candles started around 1850, if not before. They're not kosher only today. My mom, grandma, great grandmas... chassidish and Sefardi, lit with candles. So does my Yekke MIL. Everyone lit 2. Zehu. I light with candles, 2.

Thank you for your response but could you let me know what you mean? I don't understand. Are you telling me that candles are not kosher today? I think you might have had a typo in your response and I can't figure it out.

black and white

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:57 pm
I light with candles as my mother does and as her mother a"h did before her.

rachel91

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:10 pm
I put candles in a glass and pour a bit of olive oil inside. So I basically light with both.
Theres mostly no oil left, after the candles burnt out.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:11 pm
We have the short fat candles in glass cups with a little oil poured on top- best of both worlds

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:42 pm
Floating wicks are difficult to handle, long wicks are much better, but you still need to pour the oil over the wick and make sure it is going to absorb the oil, I find it a bit hit and miss with olive oil.

Paraffin oil, the clear colourless type, and those everlasting wicks that there is a link to are amazing, and look so pretty. I have no problems halachically using candles, but the style of my candlesticks means that the paraffin glasses designed to look like a flame look pretty, and plain holders either for glass or candles look ugly, so that's what I use.

The glasses are expensive, but I have only had to replace them once in 3 years, so they last for ages, the wicks I replace every 9 months or so.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:19 pm
JewishMommyNYC wrote:
Thank you for your response but could you let me know what you mean? I don't understand. Are you telling me that candles are not kosher today? I think you might have had a typo in your response and I can't figure it out.

Sorry!
I was responding to "nowadays they are kosher", above. In fact they are kosher not only today, but in olden times also.

In Shabbos secrets I read that the treif animals were sad to not be elevated like the kosher ones (by eating) and Hashem told them "don't worry, you'll be elevated all right, through the shabbes candles").

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:21 pm
I light with olive oil and have no problem with oil be used up. I put some water in the glass (as they're large), then the oil and I use a large floating wick. There's never any oil left; just the water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions