Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Crockpot recipe for shabbos day- not cholent!
Previous  1  2

sped

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 5:09 pm
etky wrote:
We had friends who are vegan over for lunch today so I decided to make a hearty vegetable soup in the crock pot. I used onions, leeks, kholrabi, celery, parsnips, sweet potato, carrots, zuchinni, mushrooms chopped parsley and celery leaves and a cup of lentils. I put it up before Shabbat on low. I looked at it before I went to sleep and it looked and smelled amazing. This morning when I took off the cover to serve it, lo and behold, it was .....cholent. Well, not exactly cholent, because it had no meat, barley, beans or potatoes in it, but you could have fooled me. Our guests were happy enough with it but I felt like I was eating cholent soup.

My mother often points out that when you cook anything long enough that is what it becomes. It may also have been the lentils that did that.

November

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 5:15 pm
I make a chicken dish in the crockpot that is distinctive from cholent, and it goes like this:
Onions
Chicken- whole or pieces
Barley
Sweet potatoes
Salt, pepper and lots of paprika
Water
I can't remember right now how much, but I'd guess that you put double the amount of water to however much barley you add. Depends on the size of your family and how much company, if any. I find that the chickens in Israel are very watery as they cook. The one caveat to this recipe is that the chicken bones are annoying. Otherwise, tres yummy.

Raisin

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 7:19 pm
lamb stew with potatoes, onions and garlic comes out pretty good. Not totally unlike cholent but lamb retains its flavour better then beef. I use lamb on the bone for this, never tried it with cubed lamb.

I also do the same with beef. No beans or barley.

naomi2

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 9:31 pm
heidi wrote:
I put in all the makings for Italian meatball sauce and raw meatballs. Turn on the crockpot right before I go light candles. (Asked a rav and perfectly acceptable lechatchila). Make spaghetti before Shabbos and for lunch we have meatballs and spaghetti. There is never anything left.

I'm under the impression that the food needs to be cooked at least partway. I understand your rav told you its ok to turn on the crockpot right before candle lighting but I would advise other amothers to ask their rav as well before doing so.
respectfully,
naomi

amother

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 11:05 pm
I've been making chulent without beans and we all enjoy it much more. I use a lot of barley, a can of potatoes, sometimes some meat, a whole onion on the bottom of the pot for flavor and then lots of spices, brown sugar a little kethcup ....and my favorite is to add some kishka to the pot -- it gives such a good flavor to the rest of the chulent. So, yes it's chulent but much lighter without the beans. To the op - if you dh will eat barley then basically this is just barley, potatoes and meat....

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 11:10 pm
Wanted to report that the crock pot meatballs were a huge hit with my family. I was so worried when I dropped layers and layers of them in raw that it would somehow form a giant meatloaf at the bottom but that didn't happen. They were perfect!

Oh, wanted to add that I used ground lamb (cause that's all I had in my freezer) and maybe it was the higher fat content, but they did not get dried out whatsoever.

busymother

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 11:28 pm
I used to make chicken soup in crock pot - YUM!!! Just put in loads of veggies - celery root, parsnip, carrots, onion, etc...

mha3484

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 11:35 pm
I have been making a Sephardi style cholent and love it. I use one cup chickpeas, one cup spelt berries potatoes onions spices and what ever meat I have. It's much lighter.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 12:18 am
naomi2 wrote:
I'm under the impression that the food needs to be cooked at least partway. I understand your rav told you its ok to turn on the crockpot right before candle lighting but I would advise other amothers to ask their rav as well before doing so.
respectfully,
naomi
The food has to be cooked partway OR be totally raw by the time shabbos comes in. You have that choice in halacha.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 6:43 am
sped wrote:
My mother often points out that when you cook anything long enough that is what it becomes. It may also have been the lentils that did that.

Yeah, my crockpot doesn't really understand 'low' either....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen