Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone's baby had strep?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:29 pm
My older dd has strep. She literally exchanged saliva with my five month old before I knew. I went to the doctor. He refuses to do a culture and says babies don't get strep. I am so angry at him. It's close to Shabbos and I refuse to wait Til after Shabbos to go pester a different doctor. I know he has strep. I'm giving him 40 mg of amoxicillin. Sue me. I know I'm doing the right thing.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:40 pm
my baby at 14 months had strep. I would not give antibiotics with out a prescription unless you have enough for 10 days. if the test comes out negative the dr might not give more antibiotic

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:40 pm
How do you know he has strep?

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:48 pm
your pediatrician probably has a reason for not wanting to give your baby an antibiotic. I wouldn't give my kids--especially an infant some medication that is NOT intended for them--also, if the baby really did get sick--such as having strept, it wouldn't show on a culture if you've already started antibiotics...

Why don't you wait it out?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:57 pm
And I'm wondering how you're sure you're giving the correct dose of abx.

tweety1

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:11 pm
On the rapid it shows till 6 weeks later. Thats the reason why when they re-culture they only take an overnight not a rapid.
The reason why your dr didnt wanna give him meds cuz drs claim under 2 yrs strept isnt dangerous. But I've heard otherwise already

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:12 pm
Don't assume. Exposure doesn't mean for sure infection. Though it is highly contagious. My ds and I just had strep and then dd and dh got sick with same symptoms a couple days after us. We were sure it was strep. Their tests both came back negative.

I don't know why your doctor is refusing to do a swab, but you should find someone else who will instead of self treating.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:13 pm
I've had babies younger Than a year old with strep. It's possible.

However, drs don't treat strep in young babies, so I'm not sure it's the right thing to give medic.

chaya35

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:16 pm
My dr. always tells me that kids under 2 years old don't need antibotics for strep. The only time my dr. treats it is if they also have an ear infection with it or if I am worried about others in the family catching it.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:56 pm
Op here
My baby has all the symptoms. The doctor refused to do a culture. I've also heard there can be complications. I have enough antibiotic for 10 days. I've asked a doctor online what the dosage is. Dd was prescribed the same exact antibiotic.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 6:06 pm
What are the symptoms? How soon after exposure did he show symptoms? Was the older child on abx when the baby was exposed?

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 7:02 pm
Yes, my baby had strep twice. Both doctors said antibiotics were not necessary. Cleared up on its own.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 9:56 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
What are the symptoms? How soon after exposure did he show symptoms? Was the older child on abx when the baby was exposed?

Low-grade fever
Fussiness
Refuses to eat a lot
Wakes up a lot during the night
He showed symptoms 3 days after exposure
Dd wasn't on abx

amother

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:55 am
Quote:
My older dd has strep. She literally exchanged saliva with my five month old before I knew. I went to the doctor. He refuses to do a culture and says babies don't get strep. I am so angry at him. It's close to Shabbos and I refuse to wait Til after Shabbos to go pester a different doctor. I know he has strep. I'm giving him 40 mg of amoxicillin. Sue me. I know I'm doing the right thing.

The reason strep is treated is because the danger of leading to rheumatic fever. Not because your body can't fight strep. Eventually your body would typically fight it on it's own. However, for infants, there is no danger to leading to rheumatic fever; therefore most doctors will not treat strep in babies. There is no need for you to give antibiotics to a baby who possibly can have strep. Tylenol will ease the discomfort until his body fights whatever it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics