Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mishpacha this week

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 6:17 pm
This weeks mishpacha had a little trick on how to clean silver. Can somebody post it I mistakenly threw out mine already. TIA!

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:31 pm
It had to do with lining your sink with aluminum foil, filling it with boiling water, adding baking soda (?) in a ratio of 1 teaspoon (?) per liter of water, then putting your silver in until it touches the foil, and leaving it there for up to 5 minutes. It only registered because it sounds so strange to me, but if somebody does it with success, please post.

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:59 pm
doctorima wrote:
It had to do with lining your sink with aluminum foil, filling it with boiling water, adding baking soda (?) in a ratio of 1 teaspoon (?) per liter of water, then putting your silver in until it touches the foil, and leaving it there for up to 5 minutes. It only registered because it sounds so strange to me, but if somebody does it with success, please post.

I remembered but dont remember the ratio. Tnx anyway. Agree sounds interesting but cant hurt to try. I don think it can do any damage

mommy27

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:10 pm
It works. I've been using this trick for years (and I've even seen it in a high school chemistry book). I don't usually bother lining a whole sink though. I either put a big bowl with a piece of foil in the sink or a deep enough aluminum pan. Put the silver in, sprinkle a bunch of baking soda on it (I've never measured how much) and pour boiling water over it all. Then let it sit for a few minutes. It works very well, but for tough cases you might need to repeat. It also sometimes needs a little buffing with a soft cloth afterwards.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:02 pm
I have 2 suggestions

1) don't throw out your magazines but save them up & give them to bikur cholim or pass them on ... someone might really need a good read on shabbos who cannot otherwise afford them

2) yes it really works ... take a disposable aluminum pan ... pour boiling water & baking soda [no need to measure it's not an exact science] let soak & whenever you're ready take them out & dry them off ~ voila !!!

p.s. never pour boiling water directly over silver or especially silver plate - some of the silver will vanish
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry