Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO advice 4-.5 lb netted veal roast

manyhats

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:11 pm
I am eager to try a recipe from Reyna Simnegar's Persian cook book.. The recipe calls for a THREE lb veal roast cooked with apricots and dates and in a sauce consisting of apricot preserves and spices.
Baked at 350 degrees UNCOVERED

I have a 4.5lb roast

The butcher was aghast. He said the 41/2 pound roast need to bake COVERED for 2 hours.

Mu questions: How long to bake a 4.5lb veal roast?

Covered or uncovered?

Also, when to slice it? with or without net?

TIA

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:16 pm
the easiest thing would have been to ask the butcher to trim the roast to 3 lbs. just a note for next time you are not sure of a recipe Smile

I have not tried this cookbook (nor have I heard of it). however, I'd follow the instructions and add a little bit of cooking time. check on it every few minutes. make sure it doesn't dry out. if this is supposed to be covered in its sauce, make some extra sauce.

cutting time: let the meat rest for 20-30 minutes after removing from the heat. cut off the net, then slice.

let us know how it came out. I'd love to try this.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:35 pm
I would leave it uncovered at first & then cover it for the 2nd half ... I'm sure the amount of time cooking depends on whether you prefer your meat rare/medium/well done ...

my tip of the day is to rub a small amount of olive oil onto the meat before you flavour it with the other ingredients - to keep it moist

also if you're cooking it ahead of time anyways ... then rewarming will surely finish any cooking ... so after the 2 hours take it out ... cut it when cooled down & rewarm it in the sauces for succulent juicy tender meat

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:48 pm
If possible, brown meat on all sides first to avoid shrinkage and losing too much of juice.
I agree with the butcher--I would cook covered otherwise veal risks going leather tough.
As for cooking time, each piece of meat cook differently so I strongly recommend using the meat thermometer.

For slicing, you definitely need to wait till the meat has cooled down, then remove/cut the net off then slice. Never slice while the meat is still hot to touch, you'll lose juice and meat will dry out.

manyhats

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:46 pm
Thanks md,gf, and MB<

I think the author is wrong. The sauce ingredients contains sugar and it is apt to burn if it is uncovered. Also I went online and all but one of the recipes called for covering the veal. That recipe said cover for first hour , then uncover.

Most recipes called for removing the meat between 1/2 and 1 hour b/4 cooking to bring it to room temperature.

The butcher said I think- (,,in a heavy accent, ) to cut the meat while the net is on.

I'm disappointed in this recipe b/c if this recipe is suspect so are the others in her book. The first and only recipe I tried in her book was a sure winner. I had hoped to find another.

Anyway your thoughtful responses are appreciated and lead to more questions. To wit, choosing and using a meat thermometer. And the question of grass-fed vs grain -fed beef. Maybe I will initiate another thread on these topics another time.

Good night!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 11:21 pm
manyhats wrote:
Thanks md,gf, and MB<

I think the author is wrong. The sauce ingredients contains sugar and it is apt to burn if it is uncovered. Also I went online and all but one of the recipes called for covering the veal. That recipe said cover for first hour , then uncover.

Most recipes called for removing the meat between 1/2 and 1 hour b/4 cooking to bring it to room temperature.

The butcher said I think- (,,in a heavy accent, ) to cut the meat while the net is on.

I'm disappointed in this recipe b/c if this recipe is suspect so are the others in her book. The first and only recipe I tried in her book was a sure winner. I had hoped to find another.

Anyway your thoughtful responses are appreciated and lead to more questions. To wit, choosing and using a meat thermometer. And the question of grass-fed vs grain -fed beef. Maybe I will initiate another thread on these topics another time.

Good night!

he may have said to COOK the meat with the net on, which you should. you don't want to cut meat with the net on.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:44 am
Don't slice with the nets on. It's impossible to remove tiny fragments of it from each slices.
You cut off one part of the net and if you pull it should come off neatly.
Just make sure you don't overcook the meat till it's really folk tender, otherwise the meat may shred when you
try to remove net or slice.

manyhats

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:23 am
Thank you md and MB. Will definitely be following your advice.

Will next be posting@ meat thermometers, something I've never used
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics