Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Which potatoes are better for...

sscamv5

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 10:55 am
Would you use the same potaotes for kugel and salad. if you don't use the same which potatoes would you use for what, to get the best results.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 10:57 am
I use the same. I prefer yukon gold for everything, but a good old-fashioned russet will do in a pinch.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 10:59 am
I use Yukon Gold for all my potato cooking needs. They are yummiest, and butteriest tasting potatoes. They work well in kugels, cholent, and salad.

m+m

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:06 am
I should switch. I always use russet but I recently tasted a kugel with yukon and it was much better!!

sscamv5

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:06 am
thanks mrs.dash and mommiedearest,
when ever I make potato salad usually with russet potaotes, the potatoes always become mushy

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:20 am
sscamv5 wrote:
when ever I make potato salad usually with russet potaotes, the potatoes always become mushy

how do you cook the potatoes? if you're boiling them, you have to make sure not to overcook them. I make potato salad out of leftover baked potatoes. they don't get mushy.

potatoes

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:27 am
All potatoes are good!

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:33 am
idaho for kugel

red skinned with peels for potatoe salad - do not over boil them

either for fries

yummydd

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:57 am
sscamv5 wrote:

When I make potatoe salad I peel and cube the potatoes before cooking. I cook them that way and then drain them and let It cool till it's lukewarm and then mix in the rest of the stuff. I find this to be the best way.

yummydd

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 11:57 am
Also I recently started using yukon gold for everything and find it so much better.

sscamv5

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:27 am
Thanks everyone,I'll try again.how long would you cook the potatoes for making salad?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:32 am
I prefer to bake the potatoes, that way they don't get soggy at all. they stay nice and firm. you can do this in the microwave or in your oven. I don't generally time them in the oven. 45 minutes should do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes