Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Corn Flakes bars with chocolate and honey?

Success10

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 8:39 am
Was at this lady's house, and she served these yummy bars, they were made from corn flakes, they had honey in them, and were covered in chocolate. Anyone have a recipe like that? Thanks!

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 8:48 am
It's not honey. It is golden syrup. Classic UK party food.

Here is my favourite recipe:
http://www.netmums.com/family-.....cakes

Success10

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 8:52 am
You sure? I think she said it was honey. And it tasted like honey. Can I use it as a substitute?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:01 am
Is golden syrup something like molasses?

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:02 am
According to the recipe I gave, yes. I have only ever used golden syrup though. I prefer the taste.

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Is golden syrup something like molasses?

No, golden syrup is just delicious. Cloest thing in the states is corn syrup but wont use corn syrup myself so I dont know. FYI- you can buy golden syrup in the states. I saw it near the agave sweetners in a regular shoprite. It has KLBD hasgacha on it.

http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Abr.....0055/

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:05 am
More info on golden syrup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/269518

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:07 am
I just googled golden syrup and got the info you mention, Wispalover. It's a light treacle, shades of Alice and Wonderland. I was surprised that the foodies at Chowhound suggest substituting corn syrup. Other suggestions were agave or a mix of corn syrup and molasses. It's such a small amount in the recipes I've seen that while I'm sure the real thing gives a special oomph a substitute that gives it the same consistency should be adequate. Personally, I'm sticking to molasses in my ginger biscuit recipe.

wispalover

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I just googled golden syrup and got the info you mention, Wispalover. It's a light treacle, shades of Alice and Wonderland. I was surprised that the foodies at Chowhound suggest substituting corn syrup. Other suggestions were agave or a mix of corn syrup and molasses. It's such a small amount in the recipes I've seen that while I'm sure the real thing gives a special oomph a substitute that gives it the same consistency should be adequate. Personally, I'm sticking to molasses in my ginger biscuit recipe.

Yea I was surprised by that too. Golden Syrup is really yummy though. You should try it. There is such a thing as Golden Syrup/ Treacle Tart which is something really special.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/reci.....28524

Sanguine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:39 am
NO - I have the recipe with honey - It's delicious and simple to make - I haven't made it in years. It's downstairs in the kitchen - I'll get it soon and post

Sanguine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 2:59 pm
I feel terrible - I lost the recipe. I went through all my recipe now - 3 times! and it's not there

I think you melted margarine and honey and cocoa (microwave). Then you just mixed the cornflakes in and put them in cupcake holders to cool - But that is useless without the amounts

Sorry Crying

Success10

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 3:02 pm
I appreciate your efforts, I'll throw something together, I see now it's not crazy complicated. Thanks to all!

be good

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 11:18 pm
these are awesome.
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....gers/

"1/4 cup agave/Honey/Corn or maple syrup
1 tbsp molasses Or increase agave to 1/3 cup
3 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups bran/corn flakes
1/8 tsp salt
optional topping: 2/3 cup chocolate chips

Combine first three ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil on medium heat. Boil about a minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Add the peanut butter and salt, and stir until it makes a paste. Add the cereal and stir very well to coat, partially crushing the cereal flakes as you stir. Make sure the flakes are very evenly coated. Press into an 8×8 pan—either lined with wax or parchment paper, or greased very well—and freeze until completely hardened. (Cut into bars while only somewhat frozen, or thaw the block a little before cutting.) If you wish to cover in chocolate (they’re good even without it), you can cover them at any time—either pre-cutting or post-cutting. Simply melt the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth, or mix the coconut oil with the sweetener and cocoa. Then spread over the bars with a spatula and re-freeze to harden. Store in the freezer for optimum “snap.” Makes 12-16 “betterfinger” bars."

Success10

Post Mon, Nov 25 2013, 8:37 am
Update: I made the above recipe, it's out of this world! I made it with a corn syrup/ honey combo and chocolate on top. It was very quick and easy, and when sliced it looks very presentable, good for a simcha. Thanks!

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 25 2013, 8:39 am
which? there were two given? the PB one or the other one?

Success10

Post Mon, Nov 25 2013, 8:41 am
The one with peanut butter. Not even sure it was the recipe I was looking for, but it hit the spot either way. Gotta love those pregnancy cravings!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:42 am
I found it!! I looked all over for the recipe then and it was gone. Now with Pesach cleaning it appeared.

So here it is:

1 pkg margarine
1/2 C Sugar
5 Tbsp Honey
6 Tbsp Cocoa

mix all on low flame

Shut fire and Add
8 C. Cornflakes

put in cupcake papers

Success10

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 6:08 am
Too funny! I can't believe you actually remembered. Well, I do have cornflakes I'd like to use up before Pesach, this might just save them from an untimely demise of being tossed uneaten. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics