Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Pessach in Sao Paulo!?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 8:01 am
Hi, we might be in sao paulo, brazil for pessach. We don't have a problem with accomodation, but there are afew questions I'd like to ask:
Is there anything interesting to see there, or anywhere near the city?
What is used for transport there?Mainly taxis for safety reasons? Are the taxis expensive?
Are the jewish neighborhoods far from each other?
I'm mainly interested in the sightseeing, because we are planning to stay for 2+ weeks, so I would like to know if it's worth it and if there are interesting places to visit, since the tickets are quite expensive.

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 9:18 am
I love Pesach in Sao Paulo and have gone a few times. That being said please read what the US consulate has to say about safety or lack of. When I was there my host was held up at gun point. Another time he was kidnapped in his garage and tortured to get him to give the code to his apartment where his family was.

There are a few holidays during our Pesach that the country celebrates including a "little passover" when the banks and stores are closed. There is Easter Sunday at that time and I think one other Catholic holiday. Between Sabbos and the Yom Tovim and their holidays, it can be tough.

We used cabs to get around because of convenience. Most of the cab drivers speak Spanish which is how we communicated. I don't speak Portuguese.

If you have 2 weeks you could go to Rio.
There is a jungle safari in the city. There are a couple of nice parks with bike rides and a zipline. They have Chol Homiod activities where the entire Park and aquariums are rented out. There is an amazing art museum with looted art so you can take advantage while the collection is still there. My favorite is the flea market. They also have nice upscale malls but the prices are more than the US. The Hilton Morumbi is a lovely place to go for a drink.

We had big problems with the kosher meals on the way back. Once there wasn't enough and all of the kosher people pooled whatever food we had. Another time the bread and food was stale and and it was packaged before Pesach. I couldn't believe such garbage was served. I bring cheese and chocolate on the flights back.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 1:37 pm
Op check out Dan deals has tickets to Brazil for $648

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 11:03 am
São Paulo is not a touristy place. Rio is.
We found it boring in the sightseeing department.
The zoo is run down but the safari was fun.
Taxi's for everything but traffic is shocking.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:27 am
Thanks for your replies!
We will propably be travelling to Rio after Pessach, are 2 days enough there to see the main things?

Did anyone travel there by bus (from Sao Paulo)?
Any not too expensive hotel recommendations?
Any kosher restaurants?

Thank You!!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:12 am
If you are going to Sao Paulo there is a bus for an hour to go to Campos do Jordao.
Ask around or your hosts about it its a gorgeous llittle town which looks like Switzerland and Europe.
There are little shops and the views are gorgeous as are the hotels.
Ask about it for details.
Another thing, do not wear expensive jewelery when you go to Brasil.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 1:59 pm
Op here, thanks!

Anyone knows more about Rio? About the things I asked in my second post?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics