Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to have productive meeting with boss

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:41 pm
Hi - Anonymous because I am pretty certain my boss is on this site. My question is, how do I have a productive meeting with her? I work in the health field, in a therapeutic home environment. We have about 40 clients on any given day, and I do administrative work as opposed to direct client care. I do billing, insurance forms, etc. Most of my day is spent on very exacting paperwork.

My boss is an administrative nurse. She has spent about 30 years as an RN, and now has become an administrator. Her heart is in the patient care. I feel very ignored by her, and that she feels my contributions are less important and definitely less urgent than the RNs and CNAs and activities therapists.

In a nutshell I am feeling overburdened. My boss is very supportive to all the direct care personnel. I am the only admin in the place. So when I am in the middle of my work, she will often call over to me to come help so and so; she will tell me to someone's job because that person is in the middle of helping someone with their lunch, with their wheelchair, whatever. But that cuts into my work, which seems to me she finds unimportant, or if not unimportant, not urgent.

What I want to do is express those feelings to her, and ask for some support also. My question is, how do I do that without sounding like I am whining? I know I need to have some specific point that I am trying to make, or some specific request. I am afraid though that whatever I say will be met with "we are all busy, we are short staffed, make the best of it".

What should my approach be? Thanks!

abby1776

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 2:03 pm
I am sorry to say this but your boss will not change. Have no expectation of her changing. If it bothers you that she interrupts your work to do other things have a discussion about that and setting boundaries. Like I really want to be a team player and help out all the patient care personnel, but in truth it's not part of my job and takes me away from things that are also important and need to get done so please help me find a way to be able to accomplish everything I am required to do while at the same time be able to interrupt my work load for urgent requests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics