Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
POLL NOW ADDED! Poll: What do you sell?
Previous  1  2

What do you sell (if anything?)
A lot of chometz gamur  
 37%  [ 12 ]
At least a little chometz gamur, plus dust, etc.  
 31%  [ 10 ]
Only the proverbial dust on the dishes (which I cleaned)  
 21%  [ 7 ]
Nothing: I clean well and get rid of all chometz and say kol chamira  
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 32

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 5:38 pm
I can't vote yet. All our marriage we've been selling everything. My husband would like to stop selling echt chametz. It makes sense to me too. He's still looking into what this would involve.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:23 am
We sell taarovet chametz- whisky, soy sauce etc.

It looks like that isn't even on the poll, while dust did make it in?!

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:18 am
curlgirl wrote:
We sell taarovet chametz- whisky, soy sauce etc.

It looks like that isn't even on the poll, while dust did make it in?!

Oops. Thanks for pointing out the oversight.

momX4

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:26 am
We dont do any bal tashchis. Any closed package of chometz gets sold. My inlaws will buy cereal on sale erev pesach and sell it. I dont do that.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:15 am
momX4 wrote:
We dont do any bal tashchis. Any closed package of chometz gets sold. My inlaws will buy cereal on sale erev pesach and sell it. I dont do that.

For those who don't sell chometz it isn't bal tashchis, they consider it a mitzva to throw it out before Pesach.

My husband buys on sale - cereal, macaroni, etc - before Pesach and we sell it.
Litvish\Yeshivish

We create an itemized list of everything we are selling/ Our rav said that this is the correct way to do the sale, to show you are truly selling everything to the non-Jewish. It has to state where each object is. So I have a list for the freezer, Pantry, back closet, cabinets, etc. It gets to be long and it takes a long time to make.

but I hate when people give me their chametz as a gift, like half boxes of cereal or maccaroni, or cake crumbs. I get a lot of that.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:53 am
How , in the world, can the [gentile] really buy your chometz??? Does he have a key to your house or combination lock?? It matters very little what you do or don't list. In concept, we disown chometz, and that's what counts.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:15 pm
We sell our chametz through our shul rabbi. We leave him a key and our contact information so that the non-Jewish person who buys the chametz can technically access it. It hasn't happened yet. Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:33 pm
We live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I have not heard of any Rav that takes a key or combination # for any apartment. Can anybody confirm this???

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:39 pm
I don't live in Williamsburg.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
How , in the world, can the gentile really buy your chometz??? Does he have a key to your house or combination lock?? It matters very little what you do or don't list. In concept, we disown chometz, and that's what counts.

Yes. Our rav said if we are not home, go away for yom tov, we must leave our key or combination with someone we trust and write on the form who has the key or combination. he said otherwise it isn't valid. If we are staying home but just leaving the house for a bit it is okay.

We do write down that we disown anything else that we own that was left off the the list. But we try to include as much as possible and calculate a monetary amount for what it is all worth.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics