Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Are Baby Einstein-type videos that bad for babies?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:40 am
What is the REAL info, pros/cons, etc... for a 10 month old.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:43 am
Kids really shouldn't be having screen time at all at that age.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 2:07 am
I really hope you are joking... a ten month old
?!?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:05 am
No pros. Unless you mean a child who is severely deprived, such as one in a third world orphanage. Then I think it's better than nothing.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:10 am
Not op but at what age is screen time ok? I mean things like uncle moishy, youtube clips and baby Einstein type of dvds. Would you let a 2 1/2 year old watch about 30 minutes a day?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:21 am
I let my 15 month old watch Jewish singers on YouTube while he eats his chicken - otherwise there is NO way he eats it.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:41 am
Firstly I am shocked that someone would put a ten montg old in front of a screen.
Secondly baby einstein are very bad for kids. I watched a lecture or something given by some educational professional who was explaining exactly what is so bad with any video for children and he used baby einstein as an example
First he showed a one minute clip of a baby einstein video about a farm.every second or so the picture on the screen was changing. Within the first minute you had seen a bunch of bright animated smiley colourful jumpy animals with cheerful jingly music in the background. The screen was constantly changing. As most children's videos do.
Then it showed a one minute clip of a real life trip to a farm. And all that happens in the first minute is that you are staring into a field watching a cow barely move. There is no music and no images flashing in front of you to keep you staring.
The difference between the two scenes are startling.
The second was real life. Compared to the video the real life trip to the farm is incredibly intensely boring.
When children get used to seeing these videos they start to rely on the constant stimulation to keep them occupied. at worst they dont know how to play anymore and at best they just lose enthusiasm for playing because compared to a screen where the image is always changing, building a tower is so slow and dull and boring.

I do let my older kids watch for reasons I can explain if you want. BUT ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE FINISHED LEARNING HOW TO READ FLUENTLY. I really believe that a child who watches even small amounts will find learning to read harder.
I am a reading teacher and I have done a lot of research.
I am typing from my phone which is taking hours so I cant explain further about why it affects reading until I am on my computer.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:01 am
Baby einstein is very pushed for babies these last years... haven't really watched it.

morah

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:20 am
It's really not a good idea. And I say this as someone who is ok with toddlers watching (as long it's in tiny proportion to playing outside, playing with toys, and reading books). Plopping an infant in front of a screen will limit their time learning motor skills and language and all those things they spend rapidly absorbing in that first year. Also, do you really want to teach the kid that the only way he can entertain himself is with a screen? If you need a break, teach the baby to play with a toy for 20 minutes while you go do something else. Don't use the TV as a crutch for that, or it will be very hard to stop. I let my toddler watch a little too much video when I had my baby because I was going crazy. I don't regret it, but he kvetched a lot for a few days when we went back to the normal routine; he got over it, but it was a tough week. Al achat kama v'kama with a baby who is more impressionable. You don't want to get sucked down that rabbit hole.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:35 am
I don't remember the age my son started watching often I would say probably around 16-18 months when he needed to sit for longer periods of time (supper etc). He only watched barney.

Eventually he started watching sesame street, alphablocks etc and I can say that he is turning 3 next week and he knows his alphabet and can recognize several letters anywhere (ie reading). He also knows his aleph bais and knows some facts and things I would never expect a 3 year old to know.

Do I like that he watches so much ? Not really and we have been cutting down but watching has definitely helped him so so much! He started talking after he started watching too.

My brother is 5 and can spell and read almost better than my 8 year old sister. If it is educational (not uncle moishy and curious george) then I honestly think it can be beneficial to the child. In some cases.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics