Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
7 month old constipated

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:41 pm
My 7 month old is working hard at her #2 and it is coming out pebble-like pellets. What can we do? I am nursing and she eats solids: rice, oatmeal, and fruits and veggies.

TIA!

Redbird

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:52 pm
My dd has chronic constipation since she started eating solids at 6 months. It was a real struggle till she was 12 months and started taking miralax.

Here is what I recommend : Do not give rice!!!! And if she is still constipated, don't give oatmeal either, just high fiber veggies, and pears. I think apple sauce is not recommended.

I don't know if you would give juice yet, but if it doesn't go away, maybe try a litte prune juice, or my pediatrician recommended fig pep which is a fig concentrate you can get at health food stores. I believe its kosher for pesach.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:21 pm
A little prune juice mixed with water. Not too much! I'd start with 3 tbs prune juice and 2tbs water. Let your baby sip that slowly. Hopefully it works. Don't over do it.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:11 pm
You might want to help her pass her bowels before you try anything else. Poor baby must be so uncomfortable.
My doctor recommend "liquid glycerin suppositories". Works almost immediately.

CP123

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:54 am
Make sure your baby is getting enough to drink - give her about 1 ounce of water a day (dr's recommendation). Our baby also became quite consitpated a few weeks after we started her on solid foods. You can also give a little prune juice. Don't give rice, because it actually makes constipation worse. Fruits (not bananas or apples) are also good for this (pears, peaches, etc).

chani8

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:31 am
I had a doctor suggest adding (cold pressed, good quality) olive oil to the diet. It worked well.

busydev

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:59 am
prune juice, pears (esp ripe ones), cut back on rice and other constipators. mix some prune juice into the rice instead of (or in addition to) water or bm.

m+m

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:15 am
Doc recommended prune juice and pear juice diluted with water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics