Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Can it be from the meds?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:46 am
My son (7, 40lb, in good health) has been complaining for the past few weeks about hard core stomach pain. He has had occasional diarrhea, and he threw up once. He just started taking concerta 27mg march 18th. I made him an appointment with a gastroenterologist because I'm taking one of my other kids for something else, but was just wondering if it could be from the meds.

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:51 am
Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting are listed as common side effects; diarrhea, not so much, but maybe.

Regardless, you should call the doctor who prescribed it to discuss. Usually, one should start with a smaller dose of a stimulant to see how the body tolerates it, and ramp up after a week or so. Did you do that with your DS?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:08 pm
imasinger wrote:
Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting are listed as common side effects; diarrhea, not so much, but maybe.

Regardless, you should call the doctor who prescribed it to discuss. Usually, one should start with a smaller dose of a stimulant to see how the body tolerates it, and ramp up after a week or so. Did you do that with your DS?

I called the doctor but wasn't able to get through to a person. I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist because I have to take another kid anyway. As far as I know 27 is the lowest dose....

amother

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 2:43 pm
27mg of a stimulant would make me sick. Sad Maybe try a smaller dose.

Does he like the way the concerta makes him feel? Does he think it helps him?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)