Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
..LINKS Shabbaton 5774

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 1:20 pm
Dear All,

We have literally never experienced anything like this in LINKS history. Within 6 days of the invitations going out, 75+ girls have registered & the phone keeps on ringing!

Due to scheduling conflicts, we wound up having to host the LINKS Shabbaton just 3 days after Pesach. The timing was challenging to say the least but our volunteers came through with flying colors and have thrown themselves into making this Shabbaton our best yet.

LINKS is an organization servicing children and teens who have lost a parent. The programs are all run by those of us who’ve ‘been there’. Year round, we have magazines, a 24 hour LINKSLINE, mentor programs, quarterly get-togethers, and whatever else needs to be done on a case by case basis. However, our Shabbaton is an experience that the girls say is “life-changing”. It’s an opportunity for them to share their stories, get advice, cry together and laugh together with staff and peers who ‘get it’.

Some new and exciting additions to this year’s Shabbaton were just too good not to share:

* We instituted a special POST HIGH SCHOOL track as per the request of the girls where we'll cover topics relevant to that age group

* At the Shabbaton, we plan to launch the LINKS Shidduchim initiative. After the Shabbaton, a team of dedicated shadchanim will begin reviewing resumes and redding shidduchim for our girls.

*For Motzei Shabbos, we rented out CocoKey Waterpark exclusively for our LINKS girls.

* We've doubled our staff so that the groups will be smaller in size and more attention can be given to the individual girl.

Here's what we need from you:

Do you know of a girl who can benefit? There are many girls who have never heard of LINKS. Please let her know. Particularly, we need your help reaching out to girls:
• whose loss is recent or
• who live in the US out of the tri-state are or
• who live in Canada (we subsidize transportation costs)

Please feel free to forward. Shabbaton registration closes Wednesday, April 9th. Initial registration can be done by phone (718-305-6080), by text (646-712-3379) or by email (linksmagazine@thejnet.com)

Please note: The Shabbaton is open to girls who lost a parent and are in High school, seminary, post sem (up to age 23)

The LINKS Team

p.s. This year, due to the nature of the timing, most of our overseas girls will be unable to make it to the weekend. We are considering a Shabbaton in Europe after Sukkos if there is enough of a demand for it. If you know of a girl in Eretz Yisrael or Europe who would benefit, please let her know and ask her to reach out to us so we can keep her posted.

INFO FROM THE INVITATION:

Links invites all high school and seminary girls to a our
6th Annual Shabbaton
of chizuk and camaraderie
Shabbos Parshas Kedoshim
April 25-27
The Abraham Lincoln Wyndham Hotel
Reading, PA

Featuring:
Rabbi Yaakov Bender
Rabbi Paysach Krohn
Rabbi Nosson Muller
Rabbi Y. Y. Rubinstien

Mrs. Mindy Blumenfeld • Mrs. Esti Hafner
Mrs. Bashie Kleinman • Mrs. Tzipora Klyne • Mrs. Sarah Rivka Pilchick

Sherri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 1:29 pm
On behalf of different girls/women I know who turn to your organization for much-needed chizzuk and understanding, KOL HAKAVOD!!

Eishes Chaim

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:47 pm
I have attended a shabbaton as a girl, and I absolutely loved it. Keep up your great work!

ruth

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 3:40 am
I wish I knew about this in time to send my dd for the shabbaton. chaval. we are out of towners

amother

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 7:14 am
I went to a chinuch shiur given by Rabbi Yakov Horowitz of Yeshiva Darchei Noam. During the Q&A a woman asked for guidance as she had just lost her husband and she would be assuming new parenting roles including answering the kids' questions about life- a job that had always belonged to husband. Rabbi Horowitz prefaced his response stating that he lost his father when he was young and he wanted this woman to know that Hashem sent many shlichim to assist his mother in raising him and he was confident she would have the same.
Maybe Rabbi Horowitz would be a good speaker for LINKS.
Tizku limitzvos.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
I went to a chinuch shiur given by Rabbi Yakov Horowitz of Yeshiva Darchei Noam. During the Q&A a woman asked for guidance as she had just lost her husband and she would be assuming new parenting roles including answering the kids' questions about life- a job that had always belonged to husband. Rabbi Horowitz prefaced his response stating that he lost his father when he was young and he wanted this woman to know that Hashem sent many shlichim to assist his mother in raising him and he was confident she would have the same.
Maybe Rabbi Horowitz would be a good speaker for LINKS.
Tizku limitzvos.
I think he is involved.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 7:45 pm
ruth wrote:
I wish I knew about this in time to send my dd for the shabbaton. chaval. we are out of towners

We had plenty of out of towners, Oysh.

This is the only drawback of not advertising anywhere...

Call or email the office and they will put u on a mailing list to notify you of other events: 718-305-6080/ linksmagazine@thejnet.com

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
I think he is involved.

He spoke for us @ our first Shabbaton and is a wonderful person.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 8:24 pm
Sounds like you put together a really amazing program in a department that was previously unserved. Kol hakavod to you and your helpers. I am in awe of your accomplishment.

ruth

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 3:24 am
ILOVELIFE, I hope you don't feel I was criticizing. I can see you are doing a lot of good works for the yitonim.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:06 pm
ruth wrote:
ILOVELIFE, I hope you don't feel I was criticizing. I can see you are doing a lot of good works for the yitonim.

criticizing? No way Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children