Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dressing up on shabbat/yom tov evening at home

mamitaly

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:37 am
I was wondering: do your kids wear their shabbat clothes on friday/yom tov evenings when they are staying at home? If so from what age?
I always stay at home with 2.5 y.o. DD (only DH goes to Beit Knesset) on friday evenings. She usually goes straight from her everyday clothes to her pajamas.
On Shabbat morning she always wears a shabbat dress and shoes, even if she will not be going to Beit Knesset (sometimes only I go and she stays with family).
THANKS!

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:42 am
For a while we had "Shabbot Pajamas" for those evenings. Sometimes my girls still put on PJs after showering if they aren't going out and they are 10. I'd say a 2.5 year old is good in whatever she is comfortable with. I never dress them in their "good" clothing at night because if they get messed up they don't have anything for the daytime!

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 7:22 am
Most of my kids are cozy at night, and some are in their teens. Sometimes they dress up, especially if they have friends over before dinner or they drop by friends.
In the morning, most of us dress up, but often comfier 'nice' clothing, no fine lace and heels involved.

Beyla

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:17 am
Shabbos housecoat are the best (you're talking about your DD, for DS it would be more complicated Very Happy).
They're dressy and comfortable, your daughter can even fall asleep in it, and it's shabbosdik!

I think it's so nice when kids get dressed for shabbos before bentshing licht, it adds something to the shabbos atmosphere!

lfab

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 8:35 am
In the winter when my little ones stay up for the meal they usually get dressed. During the summer months when they only stay up for Kiddush (if even that) they wear Shabbos robes. They put on their pjs with the robe on top. This way it's special for Shabbos but when it's bed time they can just take off their robe and get into bed.

m+m

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:18 am
I put "Shabbos Pj's" on DD (19mth) after her bath on Friday. Shabbos morning I get her dressed in shabbos clothes after breakfast even though we don't go to shul.
When she is older I will swap the shabbos pj's for a shabbos robe.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:23 am
DS wears "shabbos pjs" basically just a pair of pjs that we keep for shabbos.
shabbos day he always gets dressed (so do I) even if we are not going out.

In Brooklyn you can buy special shabbos pjs (velour or summer ones with patterns etc) for $30 + so if my mil buys then he wears them and will when he gets older otherwise I will continue buying a nicer pair of pjs for friday night.
Once he starts going to shul friday night with dh he will get dressed.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:25 am
We do pajamas friday night (if they stay up).

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:37 am
If they ask, they get clothing. Otherwise the default is PJs.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:43 am
I think you should let your dd even at 2 1/2 dress up Friday night. I never did, justifying that they're so young, it's not important and they're going to be so soon, etc. And now that they're a little older (I've got 2 5 yr olds and a 7 yr old) it's a battle. They don't want to get all dressed up (unless for company) just to have to change again into pajamas. They see it as a real hassle. And it is. But still, it's Shabbos. I try to explain to them that we're not dressing for company, we're dressing for the Shabbos Queen but it's a battle. Had I had them dress from early on I wouldn't have this situation now.

bubbebia

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:18 pm
I would let her do whatever she feels most comfortable in. And it might change from week to week. Maybe designate a special pair of PJs that are just for Shabbos, maybe something that's a little fancier than the everyday ones, and let her wear them on Friday night. Shabbos day, get her dressed. Gets her into the mindset that Shabbos is a special day.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:18 pm
I get DD dressed in shabbos clothing. She's turning 4 but I have for a while, don't remember how long, it just seems more becavadik, especially if she's staying up for the meal. Shabbos is shabbos-inside or outside the house. I remember going to a funeral and one of the children spoke about how important it was to her father- the niftar that they get dressed properly for shabbos even at home- he said I bought you shabbos clothing l'cavod shabbos, not for a fashion show at shul-granted we are talking older children here but still I think it's a mentality- this was a VERY wealthy person who really raised his children to be very "normal" with regards to materialism as well as just being really great all around people-I'm very impressed with them all.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:21 pm
previous amother here- I re-read op's post and the responses and see that she said her DC gets dressed during the day even at home- it's just a night time thing- in that case I think shabbosdik pajamas are a great idea.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:36 pm
we all hang out in pj's at night ... once upon a time we bought shabbos pj's & nightgowns ... now we just chill

Stars

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:16 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I think you should let your dd even at 2 1/2 dress up Friday night. I never did, justifying that they're so young, it's not important and they're going to be so soon, etc. And now that they're a little older (I've got 2 5 yr olds and a 7 yr old) it's a battle. They don't want to get all dressed up (unless for company) just to have to change again into pajamas. They see it as a real hassle. And it is. But still, it's Shabbos. I try to explain to them that we're not dressing for company, we're dressing for the Shabbos Queen but it's a battle. Had I had them dress from early on I wouldn't have this situation now.

By us, its the exact opposite. If they're under six or seven years old and shabbos comes in late, they will get tired in the middle of the meal so we prefer if they put on pj's. But its always a stuggle because they want to get dressed.

syrima

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 2:02 pm
I was fine with pj's for my first dd Friday night. Then Bubby bought her a Shabbos robe, size 3T!
Oh, well. it was cute, but once you start, you'll need a new one every season!

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:05 pm
We all had our Friday night outfits, special for the Shabos/YT table but definitely not our shul garb. For girls this might be a so-called "Shabbos robe" or a simple ankle-length skirt with some sort of washable top. For boys this would be dark pants and a white shirt that is no longer good enough for shul but still respectable. Respectable, but comfortable. Comfort is important here, as is washability. No suits at the table, thank you very much--not till you're an adult and paying for your own dry-cleaning, anyway. But we didn't start with special Friday-night table outfits till the kids were at least in preschool, more likely elementary. Younger than that, they wore pjs unless we were invited out. (Oh, whom am I kidding, nobody invited us out when the kids were small.) Doesn't seem to have done them any harm. They all know what Shabbos is and how to dress appropriately for the occasion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics