Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah article about confidentiality by Mindy Blumenfeld

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 11:09 pm
I was really fascinated by the article. It was an eye opener about how careful we must be when gossiping, and I was really impressed with the author's ethics . If I would ever need services such as she provides, I know I would definitely consider using her, since she seems really trustworthy! Any thoughts on the article?

Eishes Chaim

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:00 am
The article was indeed an eye opener. Yet I has to disagree with the part of not sharing information with a spouse. Names don't have to be mentioned, and I think it is self understood that whatever is discussed, will stay between the 2 of them. It's like telling a married women a secret and making her swear she cannot tell anyone. Is a spouse just anyone, or are they the other half of you? (Soul mates?)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:23 am
I didn't read the article but shmiras halashon does apply to spouses. The hearer doesn't need to hear and the speaker doesn't need to say. OTOH, there are cases where one can listen if one knows that there's constructive venting and one knows one will be able to help the talker reframe, etc. That duty often does fall to the spouse Wink

Eishes Chaim

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:09 am
I'm not referring to Lashon Hara. Just to share some things that happened throughout your day. It also depends on what you do for a living. A social worker shouldn't be sharing her cases with her family- even while withholding names. While a travel agent can mention the she had a funny story with a client, or a sales person to vent about a customer that drove her crazy for an hour, and walked out without buying anything.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:57 pm
I've got to say it's one of my favorite articles. It was an intelligent read and explored a very real, often overlooked issue in the community. And Mindy is someone who personifies all that she wrote (and more!) She is not only trustworthy but also one of the smartest professionals I know.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:06 am
Eishes Chaim wrote:
The article was indeed an eye opener. Yet I has to disagree with the part of not sharing information with a spouse. Names don't have to be mentioned, and I think it is self understood that whatever is discussed, will stay between the 2 of them. It's like telling a married women a secret and making her swear she cannot tell anyone. Is a spouse just anyone, or are they the other half of you? (Soul mates?)

I disagree, and I say this as a woman who has BH an incredible, amazing marriage. My husband and I have a relationship of the most intimate nature. We have no secrets from each other, except...
Except secrets about other people.
My sister-in-law recently confided in me that she is on medication for depression. She asked that I not tell anyone, including my husband. I don't think she was being unreasonable. Would I want MY brother-in-law knowing what medications I take and for.what conditions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room