Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Picky eaters and Pesach

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:14 pm
My kids are very picky eaters. All year long I have a hard time making food for them. Pesach is a nightmare. The first 3 days they literally starve, and then just eat what they don't like out of desperation. This is my first year making Pesach so I'll have a few days before no chometz...any ideas?

During the year they typically eat:
Breakfast: Cereal and milk, oatneal, smoothie for breakfast
Lunch: school lunch, at home pizza, tuna, or pb sandwich. They don't eat much of school lunch and often come home hungry.
Supper: franks, plain chicken on bone, chicken soup, pasta. Will eat lettuce salad with only certain store bought dressing which I won't have on Pesach.

bubbebia

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:23 pm
Hang in there. It's only a week. They will survive, even if you won't. And if they really are hungry, they will find something to eat. Just keep a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables ready to eat available. Instead of PB, swap it out for almond butter which is available for Pesach. Cream cheese, cheese sticks, homemade "french fries" with a cheese dip (look online for a nacho cheese recipe and swap out the flour/cornstarch for potato starch), homemade chicken nuggets (cut your cutlets in bite size pieces, bread with matzo meal crumbs and either bake or shallow fry) with dipping sauces, fresh fruit skewers, baked potatoes with lots of garnishes like shredded cheese, sour cream/plain yogurt, broccoli, etc. A lot of their "normal" foods are perfectly pesachdig. Here may be the opportunity to get creative and have fun. Letting them help prepare things might also help them want to try their new "creations".

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 1:36 pm
How old are they?
And what sort of store bought dressing do they like?

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 1:52 pm
A lot of great ideas.

Also, don't forget matza pizza or matza grilled cheese if you do gebrochts

And all the things you can do with eggs whether you do or don't.

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 3:55 pm
They don't like eggs, yogurts or anything with cheese. Sad

I don't do gebrokst so matza pizza is out.

They are 9 and 7.

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 3:56 pm
The only time they eat cheese is on pizza.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:00 pm
SingALong wrote:
The only time they eat cheese is on pizza.
You can make a faux pizza crust out of cream cheese. Don't tell them what it's made of, they don't need to know.
http://www.food.com/recipe/no-.....01041

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:40 pm
My kids are a lot pickier than yours..their list of food is about half of that. On pesach the only foods my kids it is..matzah and cream chees and during chol hamoed Matzha with melted cheese on it..3x a day...they eat a fruit twice a day and small snacks that is it.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 5:01 pm
If they don't complain about variety, feel free to serve the same stuff all the time. It won't kill them to have chicken soup, chicken on the bone, and pesach cereal with milk daily. Don't be scared of fleishig for lunch, though you can also do tuna. Do they eat matza? Let that be their carb. French fries? Baked potatoes?

lfab

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:17 am
I hear you. My 4 year old is extremely picky. During the year she only eats cereal and milk, pb sandwiches, yogurt, and the occasional fruit (well and any junk food that's ever been invented). We ask a rav and were told that we could give her kosher for Passover peanut butter even though it is kitniyos as long as we use all paper goods to serve it. So that is what she will live on yogurt and pb on matza. It may be worth asking you LOR if you can do this (not sure if they're too old for such a heter). But if they eat chicken and tuna I wouldn't worry too much. Kids don't seem to mind eating the same thing day after day.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:35 am
DD (20mth) is extremely picky. She eats M&M yogurt 2 times a day and will sometimes eats pizza, rice, or eggs. That's about it. I am dreading pesach, it's going to be horrible!!

Anyone know if there are any KLP type of M&M yogurts available? I will probably buy vanilla yogurt and lentils if all else fails.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children