Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What % of your family classmates neighbors or other work
Previous  1  2

prestige

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:46 am
most women I know who work, work p/t.
all my sisters in law work part time.
mom and mil work
classmates is maybe 5% and only p/t.
I work p/t, 6 hours a day 5 days a week

All of you who work full time, when do your kids come home from school?

lfab

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:49 am
gold21 wrote:

My neighbors mostly work part-time (PT, OT, ST, special ed, running a playgroup....).

Since when does working as and OT, PT, special ed. mean you're working part time? Yes some people in these fields do contract work and make their own hours but most of the women I know in these fields (including myself) work full time. Yes I do get home at a reasonable time since I work in a school setting but the trade off is that I leave my house pretty early in the morning. Also, my hours are not flexible at all. I work erev yom tom, isru chag, and chol hamoed. And I often have paperwork that I need to finish up on my own time at home.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:58 am
prestige wrote:

My kids school gets out at 3:30. They go to the daycare DD is at.

Next year, I think my oldest will be too old for that, and either I will work early or hire an afternoon babysitter.

Applekugel

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:08 am
Most sis/sis in laws work but very part time and flexible jobs that they can take off when necessary and they're home for their kids

m+m

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:13 am
I work
Mom and MIL work full time
SIL 1 is in school
SIL 2 p/t
Friends all work
Neighbors mostly F/t, but a few p/t

mandr

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
I'm curious how many girls remain in the work force.
How many women are raising a family and working?
How many years did you work past school?
Did your mother go back to work when all her children married or left the house?

I'm asking because I was reading the book MomShift and it got me thinking about the Jewish world

I'll start

My mother works
Three out of nine siblings work
Five out of fifteen of my husbands siblings work
Three of my twenty seven classmates work
Very few neighbors work

I work full time (I have one baby). My sisters both stopped working once they had children. My mother always worked in the house (she runs the office side of my father's business) so she was home for us when we needed her - she is still working. Two of my husband's sisters work and one doesn't.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 10:36 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Curious....those of you who say that most of the women around you don't work, where do you live? What kind of community, which country? I'm really very curious.

I'm also curious.
I think that every woman I know works. But most part time or 3/4 of the day.

mille

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:40 am
I only know ONE stay at home mom personally (and I think she works from home part time, so maybe she does work Tongue Out). All of my (and my husband's) family works, all my neighbors either work or are in PhD programs and the like, same with all the men (with one stay at home dad that I know of -- who is getting a master's online so maybe that doesn't count either Tongue Out).

But that's pretty par for the course in many MO communities...

gold21

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 3:41 pm
lfab wrote:
Since when does working as and OT, PT, special ed. mean you're working part time? Yes some people in these fields do contract work and make their own hours but most of the women I know in these fields (including myself) work full time. Yes I do get home at a reasonable time since I work in a school setting but the trade off is that I leave my house pretty early in the morning. Also, my hours are not flexible at all. I work erev yom tom, isru chag, and chol hamoed. And I often have paperwork that I need to finish up on my own time at home.

Since when do posters on Imamother put words into your mouth?
Since forever.
Did I say that ALL therapists/special ed teachers/etc work part time?
No, I said the ones in my neighborhood do.
Capiche?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 6:00 pm
I stay home, and have since marriage. there is one woman on my block who stays home too. all the other women work part or full time. my mom works and has since I was little. my friends mostly work full time. I assume that the vast majority of my classmates from high school work. I know a number of them went into nursing, law, accounting, etc.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 6:09 pm
My mother worked part-time until I, the oldest, was six and went back to work very part-time when her youngest was in school.
My MIL was mostly a SAHM until her kids were out of the house, but she did work full-time every summer.

2/2 married siblings work PT.
2/6 married siblings-in-law work PT.
My classmates, maybe 5 DON'T work, most do PT.
Neighbors, most younger ones work; most of the older ones (40+) don't.
Friends, most work.
I work PT. DH works FT.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:38 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I stay home, and have since marriage. there is one woman on my block who stays home too. all the other women work part or full time. my mom works and has since I was little. my friends mostly work full time. I assume that the vast majority of my classmates from high school work. I know a number of them went into nursing, law, accounting, etc.
Do you mean since you had kids or really since you got married. I know women like that, but it must be hard to fill your day before kids, no?

deena19k

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:54 am
I worked full time as a nurse until I had my third. I planned on going back, but my baby has bad asthma, anaphylactic allergies to alot of foods, and is developing rather slowly (she's 14 months and not yet crawling). I just couldn't leave her. So I quit my job. I keep my 2.5 year old home with me as well, which helps keep costs down.
I am in Israel and don't know any other sahm! It just doesn't exist here. I really feel like people look down on me that I'm lazy and think that I should be helping my husband by "sharing the burden".

Trying not to let peoples' opinion bother me. ....

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 4:13 pm
prestige wrote:

They come home anytime between 4pm and 5pm. We have an after-school nanny who stays till either DH or I come home at around 6:30-7pm.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 6:22 pm
Working is not really optional for me at this point. I mean, I guess it would be if I homeschooled my kids and went on govt programs, but that isn't a goal of mine.

Everyone in my family works. Most of my classmates work, probably only very few don't. Among my neighbors, I would say it's half and half.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Do you mean since you had kids or really since you got married. I know women like that, but it must be hard to fill your day before kids, no?

nope, since marriage. I quit my job during engagement (over politics at work, had nothing to do with engagement). I was going to look for another job, but dh suggested I gain some experience in being home, since I wanted to be a SAHM. I was also in college full time, if you must know, but that was two nights a week. I found plenty to fill my days, especially once I became pregnant and spent six months throwing up Smile I was very grateful not to be working then.

basically, I spent my pre-nausea days cleaning the apartment, doing laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, visiting my great-uncle (who was housebound), doing homework, and actually having some time to read books for enjoyment. I made shabbos regularly (though we went to parents often), we prepared for each y't (though we went to parents for parts of each one). we also had a terrible roach infestation and I had to deal with that. think roaches dropping on us in the shower. I kid you not. I had a little stick vacuum and would walk around vacuuming them up... PSA: never rent the apartment next to the garbage chute.

it's not that difficult to fill your days.

bookworm10

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:13 pm
Every female in my family- extended as well, works. Or worked- in case of my grandmothers.

In my HS class, I would say out of 50- 48 work. Some part time, some full time, but all work at something.

In my inlaw family- I am the only one who works.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:32 pm
I feel like there's stigma against SAHMs now way more than the old stigma against working moms.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:34 pm
I work full time, my sisters all work, 1 part time, 2 full time.
my mother babysat in the house when I was little but went back to school when I was 5 and has been working since, when there was a baby in the house she worked more part time. My grandmother worked as a professional in the city. Where I live 90% of the women work, they tend to work more part time or school based schedules, very few 9-5 corporate america hours. since I do work full full time I feel like the odd man out.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics