Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What's the name of this show, late 70's or early 80's
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:58 pm
bubbebia wrote:
Wow. Wonderama. That dates you. I wanted to be on that show so badly when I was a kid.

didn't we all Cool

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:02 am
tra la la boomsie day it's howdy doody time ...

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 2:46 am
Captain Kangaroo, Birthday House and Romperroom was my line-up

Whoever said Mr. Green Jeans was from Bozo the clown, I think you're wrong - He's from Captain Kangaroo

I was actually on Birthday House - Does anyone else remember it? Everyday was a birthday party and kids got to be on it. I remember it well cause after I was on it I got the record so I listened to it for years (on our Victrola - isn't that what a record player was called?). I was on with my cousin who was a few months younger than me so I always felt that I had to take care of him - At the end of the show they serve birthday cake and I think I walked around the whole time saying "me and my cousin don't want cake". Doesn't anyone remember the show? With Mr. Oven and Hi Mike?

ETA: Just realized that Birthday House must have been in the 60's if it didn't last into the 70's

Last edited by Sanguine on Mon, Apr 07 2014, 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 3:08 am
Mr. Green Jeans was definitely from Captain Kangaroo. I like the little cartoons. Crystal Tips and Alistair! Simon and the land of chalk drawings.

I never liked Wonderama. I think its popularity was in decline by the time I was old enough to watch it.

Loved Sesame Street, didn't like Electric Company as much, although it is very helpful in teaching reading and phonics. I found the humor stupid, and even now it seems very dated and silly: "Far out, man." "Groovy!" and many of the skits are just not entertaining. I liked Gene Wilder's deadpan "Letterman" voice. Didn't like Spiderman and the stupid black nets that shot out of his fingers. But Sesame Street is timeless. (Not an Elmo fan though. More of an old time Kermit kinda girl.)

Zoom was okay, I thought that little thing Bernadette did with her arms was cool. The striped shirts were ugly.
"Box 350, Boston MASS 0-2-1-3-4! Send it to ZOOM!"

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:18 am
Odelyah wrote:
Wait, you mean it wasn't Electric Company?
It is electric company I was thining of, but the other things might have been from something else. I'm confused! Is shanana from there?

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:43 am
Looked it up - Sesame Street started when I started first grade and the electric company 2 years later. That's why I didn't watch them much. The only thing I remember about The Electric Company was the very end -
"The Boy is on the chair, The boy will walk around the chair, The boy is sitting - Will the boy stay on the chair? Will the boy get up and walk around the chair? And what about Naomi?

(maybe they did away with that ending after a year or two)

TehillaHadassah

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:51 am
Was it "Fame?"

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:59 am
Sanguine wrote:
Captain Kangaroo, Birthday House and Romperroom was my line-up

Whoever said Mr. Green Jeans was from Bozo the clown, I think you're wrong - He's from Captain Kangaroo

I was actually on Birthday House - Does anyone else remember it? Everyday was a birthday party and kids got to be on it. I remember it well cause after I was on it I got the record so I listened to it for years (on our Victrola - isn't that what a record player was called?). I was on with my cousin who was a few months younger than me so I always felt that I had to take care of him - At the end of the show they serve birthday cake and I think I walked around the whole time saying "me and my cousin don't want cake". Doesn't anyone remember the show? With Mr. Oven and Hi Mike?

ETA: Just realized that Birthday House must have been in the 60's if it didn't last into the 70's

Mr Green Jeans was from C Kangarooo, he was my neighbor a few blocks away. My father zl did work in his house. Ironically, in real life, he didnt like children.

monseychick

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:01 am
Who lived HeMan and the Masters of the Universe, I would run home from school to see that

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:39 pm
I guess while you were all debating about mr greenjeans - you hadn't realized my answer below the mix-up of him being with bozo was indeed

captain kangaroo

[I guess sometimes more words are better than less]

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:47 pm
monseychick wrote:
Who lived HeMan and the Masters of the Universe, I would run home from school to see that

I don't know if I watched because my brothers did or because I enjoyed it Confused . A classmate always ran home for scooby doo.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:55 pm
for those with amazon prime, you can watch classic sesame street episodes for no additional charge. my kids and I have been watching it together. who remembers oscar being orange and gordon having an afro? so much fun.

classic mr. rogers is fun too.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 1:00 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
classic mr. rogers is fun too.

Never liked that, except make believe land.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 1:15 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Never liked that, except make believe land.

I appreciate it more now than I did as a kid. I liked it then, but I like it more now. I loved the segments on how things are made.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:04 pm
Does anyone remember The Magic Garden?
Paula lived on our block in Flatbush. She said kids would often recognize her, but their parents didn't.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
Paula lived on our block in Flatbush. She said kids would often recognize her, but their parents didn't.

omg yes yes yes ... with the dancing flower & the squirrel in the tree & the pigtails on the 2 hippy ladies & the swing

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:

Paula & Carol, the Story Box, the Chuckle Patch!
I liked the fact that they always seemed to have such a good rapport with each other.

Looks like thay are still performing together:
http://www.caroleandpaula.com/

monseychick

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:43 pm
ten years ago there was a magic garden reunion
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics