Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dirty bodek cauliflower?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 3:33 pm
I opened a bag of bodek cauliflower and the cauliflower has black specks on it? Has anyone ever experienced that? Do I have to throw it out....?
Thanks.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 4:29 pm
Wash it very well. I've gotten a lot of so called "prewashed" bags of vegetables that have definitely not been washed in the traditional sense. I think the same applies to prechecked veggies.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 4:41 pm
Just today I was thinking of posting about this! I just used a bag of winter mix (broc & cauli), and saw 1 piece that looked dirty, and another piece had an unidentified object stuck to it... it might have been a little pebble or something, but while I was waiting for it to thaw for 'further analysis,' my cleaning lady threw it out.

I kind of wish these heimish brands took a little more pride in quality...

ectomorph

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 4:50 pm
Yeah, wash it very well.

But also look at the spots.

I recently had an egg that had green spots on the outside. I should have thrown it out, but instead I cracked it and it was hard and black on the inside. Disgusting.

usmile2me

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:34 pm
Yes yes yes and I even took a picture to show bodek!!! X know how to post it here but hey it's x dirty---it's MOLDY!!!!!!!! Look at it well ull see!!!! I was so grossed out since then we buy only b'gan!!!!

pause

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 6:01 pm
I would return them to the store. Perhaps they're old.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:05 pm
One of the reasons why my rav doesn't hold by this. With price, and rarity. You are still responsible for what is in it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 8:31 pm
I know this is an old thread but I saw someone said it's mold? is that true or are the black spots just dirt, I'm having company and don't want to get anyone sick Sad

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 8:49 pm
just googled it and this is what I found

"But first, did you know that the individual tiny nubbies on cauliflower are called CURDS? Me neither. And a group of curds is a floret. This is according to the International Produce Training site. And these folks are my source for the answer to the above question. Here’s their information on cauliflower and those developing dark spots:

“Discolored curds is the most common cauliflower defect you will find. This discoloration is a result of oxidation. The longer the cauliflower is stored, the more likely the curds will oxidize, and discolor. The discoloration will appear in different stages, first appearing as a light tan or brown, then advancing in size and the color will change to a dark brown to black in color.

“While the discoloration is harmless, it’s a signal that decay is starting. These spots are eventually accompanied by the cauliflower turning yellow and developing soft, mushy curds.” The Produce Training site also explains that brown spots on cauliflower have likely resulted from moisture or condensation on the cauliflower

http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/......html

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 8:58 pm
I have read in numerous places that brown and black spots on cauliflower are normal and not problematic. Cauliflower discolors easily and usually well before it is near spoiling. Especially if you're talking about a frozen bag which you are supposed to use right out of the freezer so they're not likely to spoil in that process. If your whole cauliflower is covered in them I might get suspicious but if you have a few spotty florets in a package you can pretty much rest assured they are fine.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:28 pm
If you look at fresh cauliflower in the market, you will see many heads have spots like this. It's not dirt and it's not mold. It's a sign that it's not as fresh as you'd like it to be. Not harmful as far as I know, and anyhow you can scrape it right off - it's not black through the floret. But personally I don't want to buy old veggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen