Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Salary Inquiry

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 7:34 am
Question: If I am going to be teaching 3 periods/day (around 3 hours total daily work, 4-5 times a week), what can I assume is a reasonable salary? I want to be prepared to properly negotiate. The teaching position is in a Modern Orthodox, wealthy NJ school, and I'd be teaching 9th grade English Language Arts. Any advice? Any women in similar situations who wouldn't mind disclosing their salaries?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 7:39 am
OP here: I have a Master's of Science in Adolescent Education and 3 years experience.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:06 am
I am following and would also like to know more about these kinds of jobs from people who have worked in similar schools. I too have an advanced degree and experience, and am looking to step up from more "heimish" schools to something with possibly better salary and more professional climate, but I'm not at all sure I'm interested in working for the public school system at this point - especially since I have a big preference for working part-time. So I was thinking maybe a nice MO school -vI myself am JPF, kind of on the border between MO and yeshivish, but I went to BY schools and know nothing about the MO schooling scene, my baby is too young to be in it either. So anything you can tell me about salaries, benefits, expectations, working climate, what they are looking for in a new hire - I'd really appreciate it. Of course I realize every school is different, but I'm trying to get a feel for an environment I don't know from the inside (yes, I've visited, open houses, etc but it's not the same, I don't personally know people on the faculties and know very few students/alumni of these schools)

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:41 am
I would like to point out that even if the parents of the student body are wealthy, that doesn't mean the school is.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:49 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I would like to point out that even if the parents of the student body are wealthy, that doesn't mean the school is.

yeah, my mother works for a MO day school where the parent body is wealthy and tuition is high. But salaries are only a drop higher then other schools. and the level of professionalism is much higher so it means putting more effort into hand outs, smart board presentations etc. and also interacting with parents who are demanding a higher level of education. A lot of the tuition goes into extras such as a state of the art theater, sports program, dance program, science lab, etc.

Plus she had to go in on Purim, eruv Pesach, chol hamoed Succos so that was always a bummer for us growing up.

I always thought working for the public school system was a better deal because at least you walk away with a pension at the end of the day and the benefits are very good.

good luck with your job search.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:54 am
That is a bummer! Unfortunately the public school system is a real mess where I live (and where I'm certified), even if you can get a job (which is very hard) there is a ton of stress and pressure to deal with. Plus no viable part-time options for teachers. But I'm fed up with the more yeshivish school where I've been working. So, pondering options...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:57 am
I have a lot of friends that work in MO schools and love it. The salary is defnitely higher than yeshivish schools. They expect you to be certified and professional.

vicki

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:03 am
amother wrote:

Plus she had to go in on Purim, eruv Pesach, chol hamoed Succos so that was always a bummer for us growing up.

I guess it must differ between MO schools, because the ones I know are all closed Purim, Erev Pesach and a few days before and Chol HaMoed Succos.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
yeah, my mother works for a MO day school where the parent body is wealthy and tuition is high. But salaries are only a drop higher then other schools. and the level of professionalism is much higher so it means putting more effort into hand outs, smart board presentations etc. and also interacting with parents who are demanding a higher level of education. A lot of the tuition goes into extras such as a state of the art theater, sports program, dance program, science lab, etc.

I always thought working for the public school system was a better deal because at least you walk away with a pension at the end of the day and the benefits are very good.

good luck with your job search.

That school was obviously wealthy, they just chose to spend on things other than teachers' salaries.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:18 am
I dont have any numbers for you.

the school I work for (different state) follows the cities jewish federation's salary pay schedule.

If the schools are part of some federation type organization they may have a pay schedule online.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics