Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nail biting

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:49 pm
Anyone have suggestions on how to help my little girl stop biting her nails? She wants to stop but can't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 12:07 am
I was a nail biter. It's good that she wants to stop, because nothing you can do will get her to stop unless it comes from her.

Is she allowed to wear nail polish? A pretty color on her nails might be a good incentive. Otherwise, you can try a clear bitter liquid that you apply to the nails. It tastes awful and is a good reminder to keep fingers out of her mouth. Google "stop nail biting" for names of products.

SingALong

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 4:51 am
Chronic nail biter here. I've been struggling for years. I've tried a few different things over the years, what finally worked was mavala stop. It's really bitter tasting so I would call her teacher to make sure she can use the bathroom to rinse her mouth out any time she puts her fingers in her mouth.

How old is she? Is she old enough for manicures? I would try taking her once a week if not to much $$$ and time. Doing that also helps.

It's a long process, can take a few months depending on how short they are now.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:47 am
Thanks. I'm going to look into that bitter tasting thing. She's very determined. I want to help her.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:51 am
Just caught myself biting my nails as I read this. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:36 pm
How old is she? I'm a terrible nail biter in the process of stopping (very seriously in this process). Believe me, it is a long process. I have been getting manicures for my nails & applying the bitter tasting topical coats since I was a small child: it never helped. Actually, manicures always encouraged my nail biting habit instead of halting it. Finally, I decided that I have willpower to stop now, and BH I am seeing great results. (But that's enough about me...)

I think that if she is old enough to file her nails herself, letting her file them may help the urge to bite since she can "correct" any nails with the filer instead of her mouth, as would putting on a clear liquid so that it will feel different/thicker in her mouth and remind her that something is inside. Manicures are good because they clean away dead/peeled skin which may trigger a nail biter's urge to bite, but as I said above, I found that the colorful polish encouraged me to bite & pick (especially as it would peel off).

Hatzlacha! I'd be very curious to hear how it goes!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:28 pm
Hoof Stop the Bite is the naem of the bitter tasting nail polish. We've seen some progress with our 3 yr old on this, but it's a habit that's tough to break and takes time.

MiniMom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:46 pm
I was about to start a thread on this & found this one so lemmy ask here. My daughter is 3 & constantly having her fingers in her mouth with tiny chopped off nails. It bothers me so much bcuz I see my spit out nature in her. I stopped when I was in 11th grade but I didn't start at the young age of 3!!!?? She's a nervous kid (very happy kid but nervous nature.. Uptight maybe..) so my question is, will she catch onto a new habit if she breaks this one? At the end of the day she has to release it somewhere... I just received the mavala stop from amazon & she totally cooperated with me about it. She doesn't stop spitting cuz it's extremely bitter tasting & she's so used to putting her hands in mouth.. & she's still addicted to her Paci, that's an issue too. Also, isn't she too young for me to go this harsh way? I feel so bad doing this to her..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics