Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Does your dh buy you a yom tov gift?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:06 am
just wanted to add, I was just listening to a set of CDs by rebbetzin braunstein a"h. its a set of 8, and probably on 6 out of the 8, she mentioned do not discuss what your husband does around the house to help/ what he buys for you...
she said she has a friend who had a baby, and someone asked so, what did your husband buy for you? she felt so stupid saying nothing, but he got my kids dressed, sent them off to school, made supper... everyones husbands are different and they shouldn't be compared because if my husband doesn't buy me a gift for pesach, and then I hear what everyone else's husbands buy for them, it may cause jealousy or even a little anger toward my husband, like why cant you be like those people and buy me gifts too?!

anon because I was just discussing this with a few friends and don't want to out myself here in case theyre on imamother Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
just wanted to add, I was just listening to a set of CDs by rebbetzin braunstein a"h. its a set of 8, and probably on 6 out of the 8, she mentioned do not discuss what your husband does around the house to help/ what he buys for you...
she said she has a friend who had a baby, and someone asked so, what did your husband buy for you? she felt so stupid saying nothing, but he got my kids dressed, sent them off to school, made supper... everyones husbands are different and they shouldn't be compared because if my husband doesn't buy me a gift for pesach, and then I hear what everyone else's husbands buy for them, it may cause jealousy or even a little anger toward my husband, like why cant you be like those people and buy me gifts too?!

anon because I was just discussing this with a few friends and don't want to out myself here in case theyre on imamother Smile

Slightly off-topic, but that goes for discussing children too.
Don't talk so much about how your 12-year-old turned over the kitchen for you or your 14-year-old-son who finished shas 4 times... it will cause someone else to feel less pride in her own children.

WastingTime

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 3:15 pm
I am utterly shocked at such a thread. These kinds of things only do more harm than good--- I can't imagine there is anything to justify the possible hurt you may cause to people who's husband's can't afford to ..or forget to... or can't or don't want to buy them gifts for whatever reason. If you are happy about what you're husband got you (or you got for yourself), tell him, or a child/parent someone who will not automatically compare (which happens by default whether we want it to or not). Maybe I'm only shocked because I spend very minimal time on this site....so sorry if my comment is out of place. Wishing everyone a chag kasher v'sameyach and lots of happiness regardless of whatever we did or didn't get this yontif and always.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics