Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SLP Starting a Private Practice

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:24 pm
I am currently an SLP at a large hospital. I have an area of expertise in a particular type of therapy and am ready to strike out on my own. Fellow SLPs or therapists of any type who have started your own private practice, I need your advice!

What type of business are you? LLC? DBA? etc.?

How do you bill? Do you contract out to one of those online services always advertised in the ASHA Leader or do it yourself?

Are you a provider for your state's early intervention?

If you left a workplace to start your own practice, did any of your clients "follow" you? How did you manage the situation with minimal awkwardness and bad feelings at your former place of employment?

What are your best tips/tricks/advice? What do you wish someone would have told you before you started out on this path?

What about starting your own practice was harder than you thought? Easier? Surprising?

(Also, for those of you worried that you're helping the competition... I live WAY, WAY out of town. Don't worry about me taking your clients Smile )

Thanks for the advice, all!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
I am currently an SLP at a large hospital. I have an area of expertise in a particular type of therapy and am ready to strike out on my own. Fellow SLPs or therapists of any type who have started your own private practice, I need your advice!

What type of business are you? LLC? DBA? etc.?

How do you bill? Do you contract out to one of those online services always advertised in the ASHA Leader or do it yourself?

Are you a provider for your state's early intervention?

If you left a workplace to start your own practice, did any of your clients "follow" you? How did you manage the situation with minimal awkwardness and bad feelings at your former place of employment?

What are your best tips/tricks/advice? What do you wish someone would have told you before you started out on this path?

What about starting your own practice was harder than you thought? Easier? Surprising?

(Also, for those of you worried that you're helping the competition... I live WAY, WAY out of town. Don't worry about me taking your clients Smile )

Thanks for the advice, all!

I recently opened a private therapy practice. I did an LLC on the advise of my business savvy dh, but I can't tell you much more than that.

I contract my insurance billing to a local company. I handle the private pay clients on my own.

I'm an EI provider and I take clients on and off depending on my availability.

I had one client follow me a few years after I had worked with him elsewhere. I felt it was enough time to take him without issue. I also had one client who transitioned with me immediately, but I had actually brought him to the old company and made it clear to my boss that he would be continuing with me in the event that I left that company. She agreed from the start, so it was a non issue.

Starting my own business has really helped me improve my bitachon. It is so clear to me that Hashem is running the show, and every cent of my parnassah comes in only with His will. I appreciate the stronger connection and reliance I feel on HKBH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics