Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to check raisins for bugs

alwaybhappy

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 7:40 am
I know there is a way to clean raisins by soaking it in water and then checking for bugs on top but I am not sure exactly. Does anyone know exactly the right way to do this (in israel). thanks

lst

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 12:54 pm
You have to soak them for 15 mintues, any bugs should float to the top. If bugs float to the top, you can't use the raisins.
Instructions as per the rabbanut harashit.
You can dry out the raisins again by putting them in the oven on a very low temp for a bit. Or just leave them out to dry.

ray family

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 3:32 pm
Due to the high incidence of infestation in raisins, including California raisins, only specially produced bug-free raisins are
recommended. These do not have to be checked. Available at (03) 677-9765 or (052) 7617341,
Alternately, craisins can be used as a substitute for raisins.
If one wants to use regular raisins, it is preferable to use raisins that have already undergone a preliminary screening, such as
raisins with Badatz Eida Chareidis supervision. These should be checked thoroughly as follows:
1. Soak in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
2. Rub raisins in the water well and wait one minute.
Pour the top layer of water onto a white plate and check the water for worms or brown insects. If any are found, don’t use
batch, because the worms can also be inside.
4. If no bugs are found, rinse the raisins well under running water.

you can dry them out in the oven at a low temp

StrongIma

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:20 am
ty very much ray f for the tip - I didn't find any bugs in my Israeli raisins but boy did a lot of dirt come out!

Roots

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 4:15 am
I know this is old, but thanks so much to the above posters, I really needed this now Smile
happy pesach cooking..

paprika

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 7:16 am
I know that there's a substitute for raisins that are bug-free. They taste and look like raisins. I can't remember what they're called.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen