Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Sephardic Haroset

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:57 pm
Recipes for Sephardic Haroset please.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 9:01 pm
What type of Sephardic?

Bruria

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 12:48 am
I make one using walnuts and dates, but I don't know the exact measures, I just "eye"it! Anyway, you put both ingredients in the food processor and it makes a yummy paste! You can also make it a little thicker and make them into balls and cover with sugar and you get some haroset truffles!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 4:42 am
Iraqi: use silan (it's actually called halek) either on its own, or mix in grated walnuts.

Turkish: roughly chop 1lbs each dried dates and apricots. Core and slice 3 apples.
Cook with 1.5-2cup water (just about enough to soak fruits) for 20-30min till things get mushy.
Mush and add 1cup finely chopped walnuts.

Italian (actually there is no such thing as Italian, this one is Piedmontenese): roast and peel 1.75lbs chestnuts (that should yield about just under 1lb. cooked chestnuts). Add 1/2 lbs each ground almonds and sugar, ground zest and juice from 1 orange. Pound with a mortar and a pestle (don't use food processor otherwise you'll get mush), add more sweet wine to bind together.

I don't have the actual recipe but Yemenite version contains a bit of fenugreek and peppers, if I recall.

My own recipe is amalgamation of Moroccan/Turkish/Afghani recipes.
1kg pitted dates
750g raisins
Sweet wine
3 cooking apples
Fresh ginger roots, peeled and cut into pieces (about 2x thumb nail sizes)
1 tbsp. cinnamon
juice and rind from 1 orange
ground almond, ground walnuts

Soak dates and raisins with enough sweet wine to cover overnight. Core, peel and slice apples.
Cook in a large pot over a low flame for about 30-40min till all fruits are soft (make sure it doesn't
burn, stir occasionally). Turn off heat, add cinnamon and orange juice/rinds. Blend in food processor
or mash in a mortar. Add enough ground nuts to make stiff paste. This should yield about 2qts.

Gibraltarian: add a very small amount of grated/pounded bricks. (no it won't cause tummy aches!).

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 6:22 am
Gibraltarian is fascinating! Romaniote charoset also has brick!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 7:30 am
Yeah, Gib rocks! (puns intended...)

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:43 am
For Syrian haroset, I cook dates in some water on a low medium heat until very soft, for a long time- more than an hour, maybe two, I don't remember. Add water as needed to keep from burning and stir often. Then mash with a fork. I add some wine and nuts when serving at the seder table. You can also add cinnamon to taste.

The most time consuming part is checking for bugs before cooking.

Well actually, my mother would press the cooled mixture through a food mill to remove the skins and make it extra smooth. This is a lot of work. I dont do it and I think it comes out just fine. You cab also blend, it but I don't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics