Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Quick help: need to "kasher" oven?!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 1:06 pm
So my mother baked some nut cakes before we came, intending to give them to my sibling not staying with her for yomtov, but they were still in the oven when we came and DD had an allergic reaction. Not anaphylactic but not all that mild either. Enough to get me good and scared, ran for the benadryl and removed her from the area and B"H it got better (the crankiness stayed... seems to be part of the reaction...)

So anyway, does this mean we have an airborne allergy?!!! We just got upgraded from mild to anaphylactic a month ago, but never had evidence of airborne reaction before Sad OMG I can't handle any more...

So here's the urgent question: I was going to use that oven for all my Pesach food! Including my nut free cakes, meat, etc. Now I'm worried the nut air might still be in there contaminating the oven. How can I get rid of it? No time to self clean again before yomtov. HELP!

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 1:58 pm
Is it possible that your daughter's allergic reaction is to cleaning solutions and foams rather than to nuts? Even without cleaners, the high heat of oven self-cleaning cycles is known to produce fumes that are toxic to birds.

I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like you really need to air out the oven and the kitchen thoroughly. Put the oven on high and turn on exhaust fans and window fans/air conditioners to force air outside. And of course keep your daughter far away while you do this.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 2:55 pm
This was in my mother's house, the self clean oven and cleaning fumes were long done before we arrived. She didn't have any reaction to anything I used to clean my house. The baking nut cakes are the only thing I can think of. Mother insists everything was cleaned absolutely thoroughly and she could not possibly have touched or ingested anything contaminated, so it must have been airborne. The reaction was in her eye and eyelid, but that is how she reacted to her last allergy which was ingested, so it doesn't prove anything either way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics