Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Bas Hinda's (Passover) Chocolate Torte: we eat it all year !
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

db815

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 7:26 pm
Not sure I think its the coffee- maybe only do one tsp? Otherwise the texture is great, I think tomorrow Ill make another and skip the coffee altogether. Good luck!

gardengirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 11:19 pm
I don't understand what I did wrong. This cake dd not come out amazing for me. I left out the coffee yet it had an overpowering bitter chocolate taste. Also it's not creamy like I hoped, but dry and cracked.
Everybody gave it rave reviews so it must be something I'm doing. What can I do differently? Please help!

Raizle

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 3:04 am
gardengirl wrote:
I don't understand what I did wrong. This cake dd not come out amazing for me. I left out the coffee yet it had an overpowering bitter chocolate taste. Also it's not creamy like I hoped, but dry and cracked.
Everybody gave it rave reviews so it must be something I'm doing. What can I do differently? Please help!

some brands of chocolate taste more bitter. maybe try a different brand. As for dry and crackly, did you burn the chocolate? did you mix the cocoa in properly? I used a blender on mine this year because I always have a hard time disolving the cocoa and it ruins the cake if not dissolved.

also I've seen variations of this recipe that call for a bain marie. basicaly baking it in a bath of water. you put the baking pan inside a larger pan and fill it I think half way with water.

shoemaker

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 3:06 am
wow what a hit ! I made it with rosemarie dairy choc yummm. btw I only put half of the coffee, thanx for the recipe.

gardengirl

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 5:41 am
Thanks for your reply, Raizle. I used a hand blender to mix the cocoa in. Also it's the same chocolate I used for everything else which was fine. I don't think I burned the chocolate - I tried to be really careful melting it. But you made me think of something else. Maybe a 1/2 hour in my oven was too much! Does yours come out with deep cracks on top, like a crinkle cookie? If not, then maybe that's a clue to what went wrong. Thanks for helping me try to figure it out.

cbsmommy

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 8:53 pm
I made this cake again erev shabbos. It literally took 45 seconds to melt the chocolate and throw everything together. Another 20 minutes in my oven at 350 and it was PERFECT. The company raved about it!

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 9:59 am
I'm so glad this thread came up again! I made this last Pesach and I think I could have skipped everything else; my family would have happily subsisted on this all week. I'm going to make it next Shabbos!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:52 pm
bump for cookie monster

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:58 pm
Thanks CM.
Looks yumm!!!
I'm going to try it.

morahmommy1

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 5:53 pm
I made pesach for the first time last year and this was my only dessert that not only didn't flop but was absolutely delicious. looking forward to making it again!

bananasplit

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 9:34 am
Did anyone try this with coffee flavored chips?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 2:07 pm
a little bit of coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. but all coffee? hmmmm

November

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 4:45 pm
Bump
Hoping to try this recipe for Shabbos

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 3:15 pm
I just baked this, and it stuck to the pan when I tried to remove it. It smells great and the crumb I tried was delicious, but unfortunately my cake looks like a bit of a mess Confused Every dessert I have made this Pesach has gone awry one way or another!

But, do you remove this cake from the pan? Or serve it in the pan?

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:54 pm
I just cut into wedges and serve in the pan.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 7:14 am
did you spray or grease the pan first?

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 8:41 am
I greased it with oil. It could be that I didn't bake it long enough as well--the cake was very very soft. But seems yummy. I'm serving it on Shabbos anyway and will try to make the slices look decent. I doubt my guests will care about the presentation when they are getting a nice gooey slab of chocolate Smile

chatouli

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:26 am
Bumping this for 2015. I'm making 5 of them. Enjoy!!

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:50 am
chatouli wrote:
Bumping this for 2015. I'm making 5 of them. Enjoy!!

Me too!

aussiegal

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:03 pm
Has anyone tried this with applesauce instead of eggs? Or any other egg replacement? Do u think it'd work?
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics