Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What gift for a meal at the rov's house?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:50 am
What gift would a rov / rebetzen appreciate when we go for a yom tov meal? Nothing homemade. Another netilas yadayim towel? In seminary I could offer to help with cooking or watching the kids but that's not an option.
I guess I'll get a tray of candy if I can't think of anything more creative.
Tia

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 10:12 am
Bottle of wine?

jflower

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:37 am
Since many people have different minhagim on Pesach and some are especially stringent when it comes to food, I think sticking to a non-food gift is the way to go. I wouldn't buy candy but rather towels, a wash cup or a book from the Judaica store.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 2:15 pm
Avoid food unless you know what they take. Even flowers some won't take, I learned online.
But they probably have tons of towels (is that really a gift in some circles? I would be so puzzled) or cups and choosing a book is a difficult task unless you know the person and his books well. Because even if you aim well he may have it already.
What about a thank you gift after Pessach

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 4:02 pm
A rebetzin here. We get so many candy dishes and cheap wine so to be really honest it's hard to appreciate them. Personally we always like having flowers around, and my family and guests like fruits.

abaker

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 4:04 pm
imo you can never have enough nice hand towels, mine always get stained and no one wants to put those out for company when they wash netilas yadayim...you can find 2 or 3 pretty ones and tie together nicely with ribbon..and attach a little note "chag sameach! from the schwarz family" I also like the idea of a thank you gift with a note, sent after pesach... you could do that insted. it might be nice to get something later on...when its unexpected, knowing my guest really enjoyed the time they spent at our home and took the time to thank us even after they've left.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
A rebetzin here. We get so many candy dishes and cheap wine so to be really honest it's hard to appreciate them. Personally we always like having flowers around, and my family and guests like fruits.

Another rebbetzin. I hate almost all flowers, and I murder plants. I am happy with most wine since we go through a bottle each meal. Mevushal, please. Chocolates or fruit is also appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette