Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Race Against Time by M Bassara (author of Sun Inside Rain)
1  2  Next

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 2:27 pm
I just noticed on www.lehmanns.co.uk that M Bassara (author of Sun Inside Rain) has come out with a new book. Has anyone seen it or read it?
I'm soooo excited!

bamba

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 4:57 pm
Omg thats so exciting to hear!!Wanna get it for yom tov now!!! :-)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 6:47 pm
http://www.menuchapublishers.c......html

Zehava

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 7:00 pm
Looks to be a lot different than her first. And a lot more similar to most frum novels. I do like her style though

saramalka

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:16 pm
Has anyone read it?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 12:25 pm
Thanks for the heads up! I just called the local Jewish book store and now they're holding it for me.

mommyofnineka

Post Tue, Apr 15 2014, 1:10 pm
Does anyone know where I can get it in Israel?

cs1

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:36 am
I bought it.
It's a typical Mossad, CIA book which left me greatly disappointed.
As I flipped thru the book in the store, I wasn't too crazy about what I saw but I was hoping for a surprise romance style story. But there was none.

Honestly, the book is so not even realistic. Which 16 year old girl can fly around the world escaping the underground, Mossad and CIA?

penguin

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:51 pm
M. Bassara and Henya Meyer are two of the best authors for the frum market, and I was very excited that they each had a new book out.

And very disappointed that both books were basically the same old suspense stuff that everyone else is doing, although, of course, theirs were well written.

return2You

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:03 pm
I read the book. so so disappointed! was expecting something of the caliber of sun inside rain...

saramalka

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 1:06 am
Were there any new good reads recently in Jewish literature?

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 3:23 pm
Henye Meyer (my favorite Jewish author) just came out with new book! I haven't read it yet. But it seems to be thriller also. In her own words (from my Squidoo page http://www.squidoo.com/fall-of.....meyer):
There's a new one just out -- Adrenalin Rush -- a tongue-in-cheek thriller. Totally different from the others. It's the answer to the usual frum thrillers.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 3:29 pm
Quote:
There's a new one just out -- Adrenalin Rush -- a tongue-in-cheek thriller. Totally different from the others. It's the answer to the usual frum thrillers.
Maybe I will read it again and see if I get that (I was probably dazed from too much matza/nuts/raw egg mayonnaise etc when I read it....)

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 4:17 pm
Did you enjoy it? I'm debating whether I should get it.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 4:46 pm
Quote:
Did you enjoy it? I'm debating whether I should get it.
If you're talking about Henya's book, I was disappointed that it was 'another one of those thrillers' because her other writing so far was of such high quality. But now that I understand that she intended it as a spoof, it was obviously subtle (and I was not at my best) and I will have to re-read.

I look at Jewish literature as something to absorb my mind and get me through hours on Shabbos /YT when I am too tired to concentrate on a sefer. I prefer it to be of some quality but unfortunately have been known to read books intended for my grandchildren, just to be busy.

mommyofnineka

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 12:20 pm
For those of you who are interested, I spoke to M Bassara and she said Race Against Time is totally different from Sun Inside Rain and is written for older teens, not adults. She also said she is presently working on another Sun Inside Rain - type novel which will IY"H be coming out this summer.

newcomer

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 12:42 pm
that is a relief - I was very disappointed with Race Against Time - it wasn't at all marketed that that was the target audience - looking forward to seeing the new one this(?) summer.

chatz

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 6:57 pm
I bought Race Against Time after reading this thread, so I wasn't disappointed - I knew to expect a thriller-type novel and not another Sun Inside Rain. It was written fairly well - spent two nights reading the book instead of sleeping (hurray for caffeine). The thing that bothered me was I felt there were threads left hanging that weren't tied up. Also the ending - Surie just goes back home and carries on as if nothing happened?

One thing I really loved about Sun Inside Rain was that it was all tied together with no loose threads hanging.

She really set the bar high for herself with her first Smile. Glad to hear that she's writing another one.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:01 pm
Yes, I also found it so unrealistic. A bunch of holes in the plot. Also, these Arabs blowing up the world/hooray for the mossad for saving it novels are getting so stale...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:57 pm
We've been discussing this book on the Race Against Time thread but I thought it could use its own.

So I was the one saying I didn't davka remember the book feeling like a spoof, so I had to go and re-read it.

Of course the writing is excellent, descriptive etc (and Henye knows those Scottish moors!).

And it does have some exaggeration of the typical spy thriller/ they met their long-lost twin at the kosel stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room