Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why do people post selfies on FB?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:47 pm
I have seen people post selfies on facebook so often. What is the point? I mean, what if it is not a pretty picture? People feel obligated to say something? And if that is not the reason for posting, so people can tell you how pretty you look, then what the heck is the point? I dont get it.

shosh

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:58 pm
I think it's a generation thing. I post pictures of my kids that are specific, or of events, but I almost never take "selfies' and would never post them. But my 20 year old dd is another matter. Ok, she's very photogenic, but she's always putting up pictures of herself, also on instagram. I suppose it's the age ...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:02 pm
shosh wrote:
I think it's a generation thing. I post pictures of my kids that are specific, or of events, but I almost never take "selfies' and would never post them. But my 20 year old dd is another matter. Ok, she's very photogenic, but she's always putting up pictures of herself, also on instagram. I suppose it's the age ...
Im talking about someone bordering on 40. Not in her 20s.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:21 pm
I'm guessing a selfie is a picture of oneself. Is that a new age word?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:23 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I'm guessing a selfie is a picture of oneself. Is that a new age word?
Yup Very Happy I learned that word from my 19 year old sister a few months ago Very Happy
I expect 19 years olds to do that, but women in their 40s? I just dont get it.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:25 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yup Very Happy I learned that word from my 19 year old sister a few months ago Very Happy
I expect 19 years olds to do that, but women in their 40s? I just dont get it.

I would say that if you call it a selfie, you can post one, but if you don't....weird!! Smile

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:31 pm
the whole selfie thing is a bit strange.... if the picture isnt pretty, most people wont post it.... if you think about it from a very logical point of view its basically telling the world "hey everyone, I look good today! Check me out!" (its different when youre with a group of friends)

Anyhow, I recently read an article that all these selfies - and constantly looking at yourself on FB and instagram is actually causing a lot of obsessive behaviors about peoples looks and weight. Makes total sense...

Shana_H

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:49 pm
I don't have a FB account, I don't care to hear my phone beep only to discover you've posted yet again that your little guy just sneezed! Selfies are ridiculous, no matter how old or young you are!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:30 am
My 77 year old father is doing this! We were out on a family chol hamoed trip yesterday and he was looking into a mirror in the park and snapping photos. He smiled broadly and said, "I took a selfie!"

He also just self-published a book and tells people they can purchase it in ebook form for their Kindle.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 8:26 am
I don't generally post pictures, but why does what other people do bother you? If you think it doesn't make sense then don't do it. If someone is posting too many "selfies" for your taste then unfriend them. It's not harming anyone, so why not just live and let live and everyone stop worrying about what the other person is doing and why.

willow

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
My 77 year old father is doing this! We were out on a family chol hamoed trip yesterday and he was looking into a mirror in the park and snapping photos. He smiled broadly and said, "I took a selfie!"

He also just self-published a book and tells people they can purchase it in ebook form for their Kindle.

too funny

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:23 am
The same reason anyone posts anything on facebook. So everyone will know, "Everything is great and I'm having FUN!"

Why is it any different then posting a food, children, outting, weather, or vacation picture? Heck, as long as we're ruminating, what's the point of status updates?? There's no point. It's pointless. It's a fun time waster. Some people like it, some people don't. Why ask questions?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:30 am
To me, selfies goes a step beyond the usual oversharing in fb statuses.

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:31 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
To me, selfies goes a step beyond the usual oversharing in fb statuses.

Then you and I must have different Facebook friends Wink

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:34 am
Mrs.K wrote:
Then you and I must have different Facebook friends Wink

Well, we probably do Wink but I've noticed that the serial selfie offenders are also serial status oversharing offenders, so....

shosh

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:50 am
Indeed, the type of people who post, "I had cornflakes for breakfast today" and then proceed to post a picture of them eating the cornflakes ...

chani8

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 10:05 am
I see myself, therefore I am.

I see myself having fun, therefore I must be having fun.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 11:43 am
I think a lot of it is insecurity or showing off. And then come all the compliments on FB, so someone really gets a boost from it.......Idk, I personally don't do it, but I do look at other peoples profiles and pictures. Like in real life I totally enjoy people watching, and now I can do it in cyber space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette