Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
I just can't stand flakey people!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:42 pm
3:30 PM here and my shabbos guests just cancelled on me. Not because their kids got sick. Not because there was a family emergency. They simply remembered they have a prior commitment. At 3:30 in the afternoon on Friday. After confirming 3x that they're coming. Nice.

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:46 pm
You must have known they are flakey. Why else would you confirm three times? It is a really rotten thing to do to you. Have a good Shabbos.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
You must have known they are flakey. Why else would you confirm three times?

It's not that I specifically knew THEY are flakey. It's more like I'm so sick of this behavior from so many people that I now assume everyone is flakey until proven otherwise. Isn't that sad?

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:59 pm
great! Could we come instead? Wink

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 4:26 pm
You're so nice for calling them flakey. I would call them idiots, but then again that's my name for everyone who bug me Twisted Evil .

The next question is, will you invite them again? Wink

monseychick

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 4:29 pm
And you dont even my husbands special radar. He can find flakes better than a gps finds directions and they he gravitates to them

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 4:32 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
It's not that I specifically knew THEY are flakey. It's more like I'm so sick of this behavior from so many people that I now assume everyone is flakey until proven otherwise. Isn't that sad?

It is sad. I hope you don't let this ruin your Shabbos. I agree with Yo'ma that calling them flakey is nice.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 4:43 pm
Be happy they cancelled. I've had guests just not show and not answer their phone when I frantically tried to reach them to make sure they were ok. Their excuse was a headache.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
Be happy they cancelled. I've had guests just not show and not answer their phone when I frantically tried to reach them to make sure they were ok. Their excuse was a headache.

Oh, that is worse. At least I can try to find last minute replacement guests to enjoy all this food I made.

Ashrei, I would gladly have you over if you lived by me.

And Yo'ma, I don't think they will be invited again any time soon. I got the cancellation via text (not even a call!) saying they'll take a raincheck, maybe for next week. MAYBE NOT!

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:

I have a better one, invited 8 guests the first night of RH. Not one showed up. Instead they all showed up during the day. I had 16 guests for day time. B"H I cook and freeze ahead of time, but I did not have enough salads for the next day.

Are they all flakey, or did I not make it clear to them it was for night. Maybe I'm the flakey one, but this never happened to me before.

All my kids were away, so it was very sad to see the table all set up with all the simanim, enough for 10 ppl, and 2 ppl at the table.

bubbebia

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:11 pm
My DH also has flake radar. It got to the point that I no longer allow him to invite guests without OKing it with me first.

paprika

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:34 pm
Is this a young couple? Not that it's ok, but young couples tend to be self centered and stupid just don't think. The good news is, most of them outgrow it once the kids start coming, or when another young couple does it to them.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:53 pm
cbg wrote:

All my kids were away, so it was very sad to see the table all set up with all the simanim, enough for 10 ppl, and 2 ppl at the table.

That must have been so depressing. Crying

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:57 pm
paprika wrote:
Is this a young couple? Not that it's ok, but young couples tend to be self centered and stupid just don't think. The good news is, most of them outgrow it once the kids start coming, or when another young couple does it to them.

I used to think this 20+ years ago. Unfortunately as I've gotten older, my peers have not matured in this regard. These people are mid/late 40's.

supermama2

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 2:52 pm
When I have challenging guests I take it to mean there is something I need to work on and this is a test to see how I can improve. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Liba

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 3:03 pm
When we were relatively newly married, with just one child, we got multiple calls begging us to host people for a shabaton for shabbos hagadol. We finally agreed to host 12 singles for the day sudah and cooked accordingly.

Only two people showed up.

Shabbos hagadol.

imaima

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 4:04 pm
I had people calling and inviting themselves to our house for shabbes on friday morning! Ok I had the time to cook and I agreed, but they had all the time in the world to do it earlier!

CPenzias

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 9:52 pm
Uh oh. Is this what I have to look forward to now that I have a house? Lol
Hope you had a nice shabbos OP... Now you have leftovers for another meal
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics