Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Am I the ONLY one who has had it??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:05 am
Tamiri wrote:
I am very sad to think about people standing and killing themselves in the kitchen the whole chag. I don't believe it's what the Writer had in mind.

However, people: some of us DO insist on having hoards of people over for every meal, all week long. If you aren't a hotel, who do you THINK is going to be doing all the prep and cooking?

BBQs are a great solution (if you have a yard or big balcony). Many families I know BBQ throughout chol hamoed, and some on yom tov too. The men usually do the grilling, so that leaves the salads, French fries and such for the women - a much fairer division of labor.

Last edited by Tablepoetry on Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:07 am
And for those who hate matza and eat kitniyot, rice cakes are the answer. We eat them all pesach, with chocolate spread or jam or charoset. Practically nobody but my dh touches the matza.

freidasima

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:39 am
Cook and freeze. Same stuff all pesach. Chicken, meat, schnitzl, etc. Chicken soup, sweet potato soup etc. Cooked vegetables. Even cake. Those who eat kugels, then kugels as well.

The only things one makes fresh are raw vegetables, potatoes, hard boiled eggs. If anyone wants anything else tough luck, wait until after Pesach.

Means that erev yuntif like today when I am once again feeling my stomach bug, I take out a big frozen soup, chicken, schnitzl, even potato latkes and quinoa (which freezes fine) and that's that. Now I can sit on imamother and run to take care of my stomach woes in between.

Break traditions. Break bad habits, don't get family too used to the same thing unless they will do it and not you. You have left Mitzrayim and are no longer a slave. Now internalize it. If your husband wants to drink four full glasses of wine and then is worthless afterwards for three days, and you won't say anything to him, well then it's your problem. No chiyuv it has to be wine. He can drink one wine and three grape juice to be able to be compos mentis and help you.

Kvetching on imamother is great for those who just want to let off steam. But saying something directly to the person in question is the only way to hope that things will change for the future.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:53 am
FS I don't know how it was in your home, but my mother DID make all these things (no limitations besides no chametz, no kitniyot and no "mei kitniyot" oil). She'd be up till all hours preparing gastric creations and you know what? We were hungry before Pesach and ON Pesach since the airy food simply evaporates.

Women have to realize a few things. First of all, Pesach is really not much different than the rest of the year. The problem is what people are eating year round, not what they can't eat Pesach.

Also, there is no major need for variety. Billions of people around the world eat rice 3x day (IF they are lucky, less if they aren't) and never complain. Food is sustenance. I am a food lover, but I love not killing myself even more.

And more: If there are unhappy campers who need more and more and more food with greater variety, well then, it's time for them to start rolling up their sleeves and getting with the program: cooking and baking. At that point, you will surely see how hungry they honestly are.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:25 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
BBQs are a great solution. The men usually do the grilling, so that leaves the salads, French fries and such for the women - a much fairer division of labor.

Funny thing about men - A man who does nothing in the kitchen will suddenly take over when it comes to grilling (A "man's" job) - During the year we have a gas grill and DH often prepares the shnitzel for Shabbat on the BBQ on Friday. (another good "man's job" is if you have an electric knife DH will carve the turkey, slice the meat)

etky

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:35 am
Does no one else enjoy matzo? I love it. I eat the bran matzo, which is a bit less caloric, with cottage cheese and tomato. It makes a very satisfying breakfast. When I need something carby and sweet I'll eat a piece with a bit of jam.
I am also putting in lots of time in the kitchen this chag as usual. My father is with us this year and it's important for me to make the traditional foods that he enjoys. I also want the kids later on in life to recall the special Pessach food that their mother made every year, as I recall the foods of my own youth. I like to experiment with new recipes too. I enjoy the culinary challenge that Pessach represents.
So yes, it's a lot of work but I am grateful to Hashem for giving me the strength and the means to celebrate in this way and a family to cook for. On the practical side, I find that paper plates and foil pans have become staples in my Pessach kitchen. They make my life much easier as I don't kasher the dishwasher. I didn't even unpack my dairy dishes this year aside from a mixing bowl, frying pan and spatula and it has made a huge difference.
We did get out over Chol Hamoed but I don't really do well in heat or in crowds. So today, even though most of the food for the chag is coming out of the freezer or is leftover from Shabbat, I think we will just stay home and take it relatively easy. It's been a whirlwind until now. I wouldn't mind a less stressful day.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:56 am
Traditionally, today (erev Shvii Shel Pesach), DH and a few other men take the kids on a long tiyul. That lets me cook, start putting away Pesach and just take it easy (I love any tiyul that I don't have to go on). Tonight we're eating by my SIL and tomorrow we're having chalavi so today I'm packing up the Besari!! (Move to Israel for one day of chag Very Happy - maybe that's why Chagim are more relaxing for us)

etky

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:07 am
Sanguine wrote:
Traditionally, today (erev Shvii Shel Pesach), DH and a few other men take the kids on a long tiyul. That lets me cook, start putting away Pesach and just take it easy (I love any tiyul that I don't have to go on). Tonight we're eating by my SIL and tomorrow we're having chalavi so today I'm packing up the Besari!! (Move to Israel for one day of chag Very Happy - maybe that's why Chagim are more relaxing for us)

LOL- me too! And I really can't even imagine what it must be like in chutz la'aretz having to prepare (and eat!) even more meals for chag sheni. I have absolutely no idea how people do it and remain sane. Not to mention those who have way more halachic and dietary restrictions during Pessach. It's totally understandable that some women are at the end of their rope.

wispalover

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:20 am
Sanguine wrote:

Yeah, one less day is a... godsend (excuse the pun)!

Seriously though, I just want a big piece of challah. I hate matza, I don't eat dairy (or meat, or fish) and I miss my Tival hotdogs. I am just counting down the hours.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:25 am
I never feel guilty appreciating having just one day of Yom Tov in Israel, because that's the way it's really supposed to be. I'm working hard, but in a manageable way, and loving Pesach.

I hope I'd love being the balabuste making Pesach in chutz la'aretz too, but I'm thankful to only wonder.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:32 am
I still have my menus from those 2 day Pesachs in chu"l. I'm not missing any of it.

Sanguine, did you check your email? Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:43 am
OK, Israeli ladies, I was going to wait till tomorrow night to break the news on LII but I'm going to give the Chutzniks the chance to have the last laugh now...

Did anyone check what night is the seder next year? It's Friday night so everyone gets a lot of Chol HaMoed... Now brace yourselves... Shvii shel Pesach is Friday so that extra Yom tov sheini 8th day is Shabbat so we get it too!! - Makes me want to cry Crying

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:46 am
Yeah, I knew. I've already started to think up how to get out of working next year on CM.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:51 am
Sanguine wrote:
OK, Israeli ladies, I was going to wait till tomorrow night to break the news on LII but I'm going to give the Chutzniks the chance to have the last laugh now...

Did anyone check what night is the seder next year? It's Friday night so everyone gets a lot of Chol HaMoed... Now brace yourselves... Shvii shel Pesach is Friday so that extra Yom tov sheini 8th day is Shabbat so we get it too!! - Makes me want to cry Crying

It often falls like that. It's not as bad as when Shabbat comes right after 2 days of Rosh Hashana. And there is no Shabbat Chol Hamoed to cook for. Also - you can do an eruv tavshilin and cook on shvii chag for Shabbat. You can even make rice for Shabbat!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:53 am
Tamiri wrote:
Sanguine, did you check your email? Very Happy

Yes it's hysterical - since you mentioned it in public I'll explain (not that anyone cares but you mentioned and that's annoying) Me and Tamiri went to camp together when we were 10 years old. Tamiri had an autograph book and still has it - This is what I wrote

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:54 am
That'll be great, having all those CM days. The only thing I'll miss is the fun foods we like to cook on YT day. But it'll be worth it.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:54 am
You forgot to mention it was over 41 years ago.....

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:58 am
etky wrote:
It often falls like that. It's not as bad as when Shabbat comes right after 2 days of Rosh Hashana.

This year we have a 3 day RH too!!! But at least here in Israel Sukkot is Thursday with Friday off before Shabbat. In Chu"l they'll have 3 days sukkot and 3 days Simchat Torah too (this is a good year to make aliya)

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:59 am
Tamiri wrote:
You forgot to mention it was over 41 years ago.....

Wow!! Oh so sweet, too!!

etky

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:10 am
Sanguine wrote:
This year we have a 3 day RH too!!! But at least here in Israel Sukkot is Thursday with Friday off before Shabbat. In Chu"l they'll have 3 days sukkot and 3 days Simchat Torah too (this is a good year to make aliya)

Now that is serious. It's also a good year to finally buy that second fridge I've been considering.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics