Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Am I the ONLY one who has had it??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:10 am
chani8 wrote:
Wow!! Oh so sweet, too!!
We were not from the same place (I was from Monsey) and did not keep in touch after camp. My family made Aliya that September. One day, in the mall in Raanana, I was with my friend from NJ and Sanguine walked up to us. A few short Jewish geography questions later, I put it all together and realized I had known her in a previous life!

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:32 am
Sanguine wrote:
Traditionally, today (erev Shvii Shel Pesach), DH and a few other men take the kids on a long tiyul. That lets me cook, start putting away Pesach and just take it easy (I love any tiyul that I don't have to go on). Tonight we're eating by my SIL and tomorrow we're having chalavi so today I'm packing up the Besari!! (Move to Israel for one day of chag Very Happy - maybe that's why Chagim are more relaxing for us)

This. My dh takes all the kids out and I am free to cook. When they come back, it's video time. Yes they watch enormous amounts of those, but they are not allowed to watch so much for the rest of the year, that's why they love pesach!! When they are done with videos, they realize they actually have toys, and if mommy is hiding in the kitchen/shower/napping, they figure out how to play without mommy!

maapse

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:44 am
Why dont ppl cook before yom tov and freeze?
I cooked enough soup kugels schnitzel veg side dishes starters meats and cakes to last the entire pesach. Froze it all. Before yom tov came in I packed away my cooking stuff baking stuff frying pans etc.
Use paperware for meals. Nice paperware.
Pull all food out of freezer and put on hotplate.
I havent lifted a finger since yomtov started. And I have guests moving in and for meals.

wispalover

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:58 am
maapse wrote:
I cooked enough soup kugels schnitzel veg side dishes starters meats and cakes to last the entire pesach. Froze it all. Before yom tov came in I packed away my cooking stuff baking stuff frying pans etc.
I havent lifted a finger since yomtov started. And I have guests moving in and for meals.

Can't speak for everyone but I really hate frozen food. And many things can't be frozen, eg. roasted cauliflower, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach etc.

grace413

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:03 am
Sanguine wrote:
OK, Israeli ladies, I was going to wait till tomorrow night to break the news on LII but I'm going to give the Chutzniks the chance to have the last laugh now...

Did anyone check what night is the seder next year? It's Friday night so everyone gets a lot of Chol HaMoed... Now brace yourselves... Shvii shel Pesach is Friday so that extra Yom tov sheini 8th day is Shabbat so we get it too!! - Makes me want to cry Crying

I am on the 15 minutes at a time survival mode - no way I am going to think about next Pesach now.

grace413

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:05 am
Sanguine wrote:
This year we have a 3 day RH too!!! But at least here in Israel Sukkot is Thursday with Friday off before Shabbat. In Chu"l they'll have 3 days sukkot and 3 days Simchat Torah too (this is a good year to make aliya)

Every year is a good year to make aliya! (except of course for those of us who have already done so.)

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:06 am
maapse wrote:

Did you have a lot of guests? Would you be willing to post or pm your menu and schedule? I would like to learn. My freezer was pretty full, and I still did lots of cooking.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:24 am

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:27 am
maapse wrote:
IME:
(1) Reheated chicken is never as good as fresh, and there is no way around that
(2) Some foods (potatoes, delicate kugels) don't freeze well
(3) If you have lots of cake in the freezer (ditto Pesach rolls) you will eat more
(4) Some people don't have all that time or inclination to cook themselves to death before the chag even begins!
(5) Some people don't have space for the frozen meat they will need for the whole chag PLUS frozen cooked foods.
(6) You can't freeze fresh salad. Or boiled eggs.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:47 am
Sanguine wrote:
Quote:
This year we have a 3 day RH too!!! But at least here in Israel Sukkot is Thursday with Friday off before Shabbat. In Chu"l they'll have 3 days sukkot and 3 days Simchat Torah too (this is a good year to make aliya)

grace413 wrote:
Every year is a good year to make aliya! (except of course for those of us who have already done so.)

One year it was a triple 3 day followed by another triple 3 day the next year - I was positive that Aliya numbers would soar that summer when people realized that they were heading for a triple 3 day again. Maybe Hashem gives women short memories about what 3 day Yontifs are just like we forget what labor is like and we go and have more children after swearing that night that we'll never go through labor again Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:50 am
imasoftov wrote:

What a waste - wait till they're dirty and then smash them

shosh

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:56 am
I'm just fed up with having to deal with making food all the time. All day. And even everyone's eaten it, they're all hungry again!!!!!!!

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:01 am
shosh wrote:
I'm just fed up with having to deal with making food all the time. All day. And even everyone's eaten it, they're all hungry again!!!!!!!

Just throw matza and chocolate spread at all those hungry munchers!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:48 am
I love Pessach food, BUT if you don’t eat kitniot especially, you « have » to cook unless your family can go with very simple. If you don’t use processed food and take out (that is, if there’s klp opened places by you…) then yes it’s a LOOOT of cooking. I notice people do many more starters and side dishes and desserts etc on Pessach.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:25 am
Tamiri and Sanguine, you are too cute! I can relate - one summer in camp I was best friends with a girl, and now she's my sister-in-law!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:29 am
Well. Even if it's a "three day Yom Tov", in Israel we can take showers on YT - if all heating except for the solar is turned off, and if we use liquid soap and don't squeeze out any hair.

Add this to the Advantages side of your aliyah pros and cons chart. Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:45 am
About freezing: I'm a big freezer, and yes, it makes 3 day yom tov much easier, but as has been said, for the first days I didn't have a lot of time and space. (B"H, I had cases of chicken and other stuff, no complaints.) I'm feeling a bit chilled (maybe in denial? I really should be in the kitchen) as I have entrees for three meals - meatballs, raw prepped schnitzel to be baked, and roast - in the freezer, desserts, a few kugels, soup and kneidlach. Yes, it does make a difference.
And my kids are older and not only more helpful but more accommodating and less picky.
And I like cooking though as I get older I can't pull the marathons I used to.
All this helps me not "have it" yet.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:49 am
I have not stepped out of the kitchen once this pesach... oh yes I did it was to go shopping for more food to cook. I have friends whose boys are hungry because their family does not bruk at home but out so they come to me for the "good food and cakes".
I just found out I am having 30 people for 3 out of the 4 meals that I didnt know where coming until last night.
Two more days then I will be free from my slavery.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:58 am
As time has gone on, I have been released. Because a lot of the "necessary" prep and performance were in my head. Most people don't really care what they eat IME. My kids are happiest with egg and matza. We didn't even have matza brei. No one offered to make it, and I sure as heck didn't... just goes to show!One (of my all-males) kid made latkes motzai chag rishon and I asked if he'd like to make it again motzai Shabbat. His response? "It's too much work to peel the potatoes". So, we didn't have them again and no one is hungry BH). 2 kids baked last week, and decided that the bought Elite or Osem cake is "good enough" so that's what we have for the last day. And we are all happy. If we didn't happen to have those bought cakes, then whatever is leftover from what they made last week would have to be enough.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 9:19 am
I also don't find Pesach hard for eating. I'm not one of these people who freezes in advance (except kugels which I did all the Thursday before Shabbat hagadol.) But I do have big kids. They can make their own eggs, potatoes in the microwave, brownies, cookies, and even more if they want to eat more. I do make menus in advance and I don't cook fancy (not during the year either). Cooking for yontif isn't harder than cooking for Shabbat (in Israel where it's one day). Don't invite more company than you can handle.

I've said it before - It's your own fault if you're drained from Pesach. Keep it simple. Use paper plates. Don't invite company if you can't handle it. (and make aliya so you have only one day of chag )
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics