Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Fake Chocolate Chips from cocoa & oil?

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 31 2013, 2:04 pm
Has anyone experimented with mixing cocoa, oil & sugar to substitute for chocolate chips? We are wondering what would happen if we make a mixture, freeze it in little pieces, and put it into a cake or cookie?

bamamama

Post Sun, Mar 31 2013, 2:31 pm
Would the oil even freeze? Maybe if you add a little water? Google a recipe for homemade chocolate. I know there are people who do it. I made chocolate syrup from cocoa, sugar, and water to put on the ice cream I made for shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2013, 4:59 pm
if you freeze cocoa and oil and then put it into a cake, it will defrost while baking and you'll have little pockets of cocoa in it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2013, 5:11 pm
you can try making this with oil, cocoa and sugar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIvWPexqWZ0

http://www.healthyveganrecipes.....ecipe

penguin

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:27 pm
We ended up making confectioner's sugar in the food processor, and used it to make a glaze with cocoa, sugar & water (maybe some oil) which we drizzled over the nuts cookies. And while some of us ate them when they were fresh, we threw out a lot after YT because everyone was pretty tired of nut cookies... Oh well.

esty2

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:51 pm
penguin wrote:
Has anyone experimented with mixing cocoa, oil & sugar to substitute for chocolate chips? We are wondering what would happen if we make a mixture, freeze it in little pieces, and put it into a cake or cookie?
Never heard but could be it would work

penguin

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 5:23 pm
Bumping this up for this year, if anyone has any great ideas...

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 5:49 pm
I haven't tried this (we eat the real thing Very Happy ) but I would think that heating sugar with a bit of water until it turns into syrup would be a good place to start.

Happy 2B

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:52 am
once you put the mixture in the oven it would melt. since oil is liquid at room temperature
if anything you would have to use margarine or shortening which is harder at room temp but also once you put it in the oven it would melt Sad

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 2:36 pm
since chocolate chips are made from cocoa & oil & sugar - I can't see why not ...

you just have to make sure the temperatures do not get over a certain degree - [I think it's between 90° & 100°] - but instead of freezing it - I would use a baggie with a tiny tip cut off & squeeze them onto a tray & then refrigerate rather than freeze [as if you were making any other chocolate delicacy]

Volunteer

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:09 pm
Here is a recipe to make homemade dark chocolate bars out of cocoa, coconut oil, and sugar. You could make these, then break up the bars into chips.

Chocolate Covered Katie- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars

If you use a fat that is liquid at room temperature, the result will melt very quickly at room temperature. A fat that is more saturated will solidify at higher temperatures. If you mix it into cake, you might get more of a chocolate swirl than distinct chips.

The recipe above uses coconut oil because it is solid at room temperature.
Olive oil begins to solidify a few degrees above freezing (that's why it gets slushy in the refrigerator).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics