Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Moral dilemma: return opened item to store?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:55 pm
Officially the store does not have a policy to accept open items returned. But here' she situation:
Bought a toy at a discount store thinking it was a great deal.
Packaging was the type that is not sealed, just with a piece of scotch tape, no inside bags or shrink wrap anywhere.
Opened package. Children played with toy once but it is exactly the same as brand new, not an item that wears easily (think along the lines of stacking cups - absolutely no way to see it was played with once. Clean, nothing to ding or scratch at all. Was played by one tame child on a clean-for-pesach carpet) could VERY easily be re-sealed and no one would ever know.
Next day saw advertised in a different local store for a better price - not just a better price but a larger set of same toy. I would have liked a larger set but I do not have that kind of toy budget, in fact I never spend anything on toys only bought this because it appeared to be a great deal I couldn't pass up. At store #2 I could now get a better, larger version of same toy for about the same great price. However, due to my budget constraints, I do not want to just buy both or get another of the smaller set.
Today is the last day both to return my original purchase and to get the sale at store #2.

WWYD?

I did think maybe just buy the bigger one and keep the smaller one to give as a gift or something, but recall please that I have no toy budget, I never give gifts of this caliber and don't plan to start a trend - bought it only as a yomtov treat for my own kids. On the other hand, I may be a super tightwad but really we're talking under $15 here... (Each set, sale price) on the other other hand the way I shop $15 could have been that extra Shabbos/yomtov dress I didn't buy for dd...

PAMOM

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:02 pm
If they can resell it for the price you paid, I'd return it.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:08 pm
PAMOM wrote:
If they can resell it for the price you paid, I'd return it.

They should be able to, they have about a zillion identical items on the shelf. But this is more a personal honesty issue. They would not take it back if I tell them it's been opened because their policy is such. So I'd have to pretend it's new. Doesn't feel right even though technically it looks just the same to me...

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:00 pm
money is money ... use is used - but not used up ... you can get twice as much for same price

stores do have more depreciation than the consumer - & they will sell it - I'm sure ...

hm ~ it's a dilemma indeedy

you have to do what feels right for you ... not for us - but please don't lie

MamaBear

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:11 pm
I'd go back and tell them you opened it up and changed your mind. If it looks so perfect, maybe they will take it back - and then you'll have been completely honest.

Talya

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 3:14 pm
Sell it online. You may even be able to do it at a profit.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 3:32 am
Talya wrote:
Sell it online. You may even be able to do it at a profit.

How does that make sense???? OP bought something and then she found a LARGER toy for a LOWER price at another store. When people buy something online, they expect a great bargain (to compensate for the time and effort of buying online and waiting for the thing to come) She would lose money by trying to sell it online - if she sold the thing at all. Better to return it to the store.

I think OP should return the item if it's in a condition where the store could still sell it at the full price.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 4:40 am
I don't see any scenario where you can justify out right lying (I.e. saying you didn't open it if you did). I can maybe see trying to return it without saying anything one way or the other -- just bring it back. If they look at is themselves and it looks new they may not ask you, in which case it is probably less of a moral/ halachic problem. (You are still implying that it is new, but I can hear the argument that it is not your responsibility to know their return policy. You are trying to return an item and they can say either yes or no. But be prepared in this scenario that they may ask you if you opened it, in which case you would have to say yes and see how they respond.)

m in Israel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 4:43 am
amother wrote:
How does that make sense???? OP bought something and then she found a LARGER toy for a LOWER price at another store. When people buy something online, they expect a great bargain (to compensate for the time and effort of buying online and waiting for the thing to come) She would lose money by trying to sell it online - if she sold the thing at all. Better to return it to the store.

Although I hear your point, sometimes it does work this way. If she bought the item on an extreme sale, as she implied, someone in a different city might not have access to that same price. IOW it could be that two local competing stores are having a price war and offering great prices, but on the internet you have access to buyers all over the world who may not have that same situation in their local stores. Of course you have to factor in shipping costs as well, and for a toy that is less than $15 to begin with, that may add a very large percentage to the price. . .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette