Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Am I the ONLY one who has had it??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

willow

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:31 am
I don't really cook and freeze cuz we eat fresh vegetables, salads and dips and those don't freeze.
I don't make kugels and things because we don't like them. NO one went hungry at all I find that we have so much food (as we do year round) because my family doesn't eat too much bread anyway.

willow

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:32 am
It helps we don't have a lot of guests for each meal so I don't get overwhelmed.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:38 am
I'm glad that we have one more day left. We under bought by mistake and so our fridge is almost empty. Hope we make the day with what we have.

maapse

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:47 am
wispalover wrote:
Can't speak for everyone but I really hate frozen food. And many things can't be frozen, eg. roasted cauliflower, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach etc.

I only freeze things that freeze well. Schnitzel. Potato kugel. Chicken soup. Etc. Who needs sauteed spinach on pesach?

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:56 am
maapse wrote:
I only freeze things that freeze well. Schnitzel. Potato kugel. Chicken soup. Etc. Who needs sauteed spinach on pesach?

One doesn't *need* sautéed spinach ever. But it's a nice healthy side dish. I prefer it to potato kugel and all those matzah-laden kugels. Smile

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:57 am
maapse wrote:
Actually, all of us. Will you make it for me? LOL

maapse

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:57 am
[quote="Tamiri"]IME:
(1) Reheated chicken is never as good as fresh, and there is no way around that
(2) Some foods (potatoes, delicate kugels) don't freeze well
(3) If you have lots of cake in the freezer (ditto Pesach rolls) you will eat more
(4) Some people don't have all that time or inclination to cook themselves to death before the chag even begins!
(5) Some people don't have space for the frozen meat they will need for the whole chag PLUS frozen cooked foods.
(6) You can't freeze fresh salad. Or boiled eggs.[/quote

And in my experience
1. A calm and rested mother is better than fresh chicken
2. Well dont freeze that stuff that doesnt freeze well. Enough food does freeze well that there is no need to cook.
3. Not in my house.
4. Absolutely true about not everyone having time but I would rather cook to death before pesach and not cook to death during yom tov.
5. Absolutely true.
6. Okay so I boiled a pot of eggs before yomtov.

fmt4

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:03 am
maapse wrote:

I think freezing works for people who eat very basic, heimish food. For many people, eating this type of food all yom tov would make them sick. I need some green, orange, yellow, etc in my meals. It can't be all brown. Do u not eat salad?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:04 am
I've learned on this board: it's a matter of perspective. If you are a young family, "x" works. If you are a young family with a million guests "y" works. If you are a family with 5 older boys to feed NOTHING works LOL. There is no one-size-fits-all for Jewish families. The ONLY thing I made and froze was chicken soup and still... I wasn't a slave in the kitchen before or during chag. Because I decided I won't be. And BH not one person here is hungry. At all.

maapse

DrMom wrote:
One doesn't *need* sautéed spinach ever. But it's a nice healthy side dish. I prefer it to potato kugel and all those matzah-laden kugels. Smile

Drmom I agree. I am talking to the woman that are sick of the constant cooking. I am just trying to say keep it simple and if you cant cope with cooking fresh then dont. Eat from your freezer and save the sauteed spinach for shavuos

DrMom

OP, if you have guests, ask them to bring dishes (side dishes, salads, etc.).

And enlist the help of your children/DH for peeling vegetables.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:40 am
Sanguine, for people who peel everything and don't buy processed foods, and have lots of guests, I can see this being especially stressful. I do not want to start a tangent disparaging such minhagim. I will say that people who do this need to strategize - what help they can get, where they draw lines, etc. They have to make it doable, and make sure that they have oneg yom tov too, in the form of new clothes, books, whatever it takes.

fmt4, yes, we do try to have lots of veggies too, plain, Israeii salad, a nice romaine strawberry with excess marror, roasted veggies (I have a few trays worth of zucchini, and butternut squash/sweet potato/carrot ready to go). I'm still not eating the way I hope to go back to this week, yes, much healthier, and I'm looking forward to going back, but I'm also trying to enjoy the noshing, and carbs and proteins I don't usually eat as much of. Why not? ;-)

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:49 am
Quote:
don't buy processed foods

Is this for religious reasons or health reasons? (just wondering)

I think the main things are to start Pesach cleaning early so you can start cooking early

The other thing is to make a menu in advance so some things can be made double for 2 meals.

And most important - Have big kids who are used to helping n the kitchen Very Happy (mine weren't always big either but now I can be a big shot about how easy it is)

Liba

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:10 am
Sanguine wrote:
Quote:
don't buy processed foods

Is this for religious reasons or health reasons? (just wondering)

Religious.

FWIW even my 7 year old can peel vegetables... I don't think I peeled a single thing this yom tov, and yet we try to avoid anything processed and don't eat anything with peels. We went through about 75lbs of potatoes, 25lbs of carrots, etc and I peeled not a single one myself.

Last edited by Liba on Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:15 am
Liba wrote:
Religious.

FWIW even my 7 year old can peel vegetables... I don't think I peeled a single thing this yom tov, and yet we didn't eat anything processed or anything without peels. We went through about 75lbs of potatoes, 25lbs of carrots, etc and I peeled not a single one myself.

Don't know how you do it

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:29 am
I would just skip fruits and veggies if I had to peel what I dont usually peel.
My chassidishe ancestors didnt peel. Anyway I married yekke.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:15 pm
I kasher my oven so we don't have to fry everything. It's a big help to shove a bekel in the oven and let it do the work; and one-pot meals are OK here.

In addition, we kasher the dishwasher. My hands are never in water; everything goes in the dishwasher.

mo5

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 8:19 am
Ok I'm from the peeling, no-processed foods people and survived- no actually enjoyed.
It's easier to make a BIG mess all at once before yomtov and enjoy yomtov. Of course that's easier with some bigger kids now- and when they were all small- I cooked even more 'basic'.

On Pesach I cook simply- so some roasted veggies in the oven and a large salad (rather than a few different salads for a meal). have fresh fruit for desserts rather than cakes etc. A big vegetable soup (freezes well), a big chicken soup, chicken- prepped in pans in the freezer - so just defrost and put in the oven, and there's more than half a meal.
I have a saying: if you eat- you help- so all my kids and dh help. 1/2 hiur of everyone peeling, cutting etc- and I can take over the actual cooking. Once every two days you can peel potatoes, sweet potatoes carrots and leave in a bucket of Cold water. Just change the water regularly. If its cold (not freezibg) where you live- put outside overnight - the veggies will stay fresh.
Wash and check a quantity of lettuce- let it dry, then stand upright in a ziploc bag with paper towel at the bottom (to absorb moisture) and put in fridge. Lasts a week.
I bought (look out for sales) a couple of good knives and pots for Pesach- just wasn't worth always using 'garbage ones' that hurt my hands etc.
Wear gloves when washing dishes- and use disposable dishes too. I start washing during the meal- between courses- and accept all offers of help from my guests to wash/dry Wink
To enjoy Pesach- set realistic expectations, work in advance and SIMPLIFY. And every eating member of the household needs to help in some way! Take everyone's ideas from this year- copy the ones you like and save somewhere for next year.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics