Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO new school/community HELP!

emaTO4

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 10:54 am
We live in a small out-of-town community, rich in Torah. There are a few day schools, both of which are 45-70 minutes away.
But our DS has been diagnosed with dyslexia and mild autism( they don't call it aspbergers anymore). The schools just are not equipped to educate him, with much discussion with our Rav and a Gadols consult, we've had to enroll him in public school.
The influences on a young, frum boy are so intense. And all he wants to do is fit in and be liked. He's very friendly, and you wouldn't know he has autism, just that he doesn't have a lot of social tools, and can get stuck on what he wants to do.
He is reading now and is beginning to get math concepts. He misses the main points of concepts and/or stories.
The issue is, we don't want him in public school much longer. We have to move to a different community, the sooner the better.
We are looking for a school with excellent precessional teachers both in judaics and secular with a team of PT, Speech, OT and social skills. A school that is forward-thinking and reassess' their curriculum regularly.
I'm not looking into NY.
Any ideas? Please help!

Ashrei

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 4:54 pm
I just want to support your decision not to look into NY. Surely you'll find schools here, but the sacrifice of stress and quality of life isn't worth it, especially for a condition that seems so not-desperate.

Why is the Jewish day school so out of the question? If you could get him the interventionists he needs at school, would they be open to that? Maybe it would cost money... But it might be short term if you follow through and reinforce what he's working on. It may be worth it to make it work where you are. Moving is so stressful and hard. But I agree, he can't stay in public school. Homeschooling might be another option. Get opinions from a few very skilled and experienced OT's.

I really hope things work out for you with as much ease as possible!

(From a mother of a special needs child.)

tropicalrainforest

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:10 pm
Here in chicago there is a school called Gesher Hatorah , they have speech therapy , lots of social and academic support plus many specials to enhance social skills .They specialize in children with learning/ behavioral differences and have a kindergarten through 6 grade .

There is also a new junior / senior high yeshiva called Netzach yisroel , ( I'm not sure the name ). It was started this year by Dr. Walder and has around 15 boys . It is for boys that were not able to attend the mainstream yeshivos.I have heard positive things about it.
Good luck .

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:16 pm
I would seriously consider homeschooling if you're happy with the community. There are other families on the jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling yahoo group who have kids on the spectrum. There's also the annual Torah Homeschooling Convention coming up at the end of May.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:02 pm
It is not always easy to determine from observing a day school & talking to the staff if they can actually support your child. Some have a philosophy to try & serve every child, even when they do not have the resources or expertise to do so. Some will be up front about not having those things in place.

After struggling for a long time to make day school work for my kids, I now have 2 kids w. dyslexia & have them in public schools, with private tutoring. I happen to live in a place with excellent public schools & the day schools can not match what the public schools can do. We have done much to enrich our home life so that our home is the central "makom torah" for our family. Maintaining connections with the other kids from the day schools is something that takes some work, and depends on an individual child's personality.

Some day schools are more flexible than others about finding ways to continue to help your child to feel included in the day school community. I suggest you investigate what your local day schools can do & feel out any of the day school administration who seem open to creative solutions.

Decisions can be year-to-year as well. It possible, I believe, to return children to Torah day school or Torah high school settings when they have well established the skills they will need to function in those settings with the resources available in those settings.

Summer time can also be an important time for torah and social growth. Think about how to make best use of the summer months in connecting with the kids in the Torah community, either through camp or other social opportunities.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 1:44 am
Derech Hatorah of Rochester is a mainstream school with small classes and an incredible team that works with students with various learning, developmental, and emotional difficulties. I am continually amazed at the effort expended on each classified child. I can give you more info or put you in touch with parents of IEP students.

animeme

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 8:51 pm
The Sulam program in Silver Spring, MD is thorough and has diverse options in terms of level of support, type and amount of mainstreaming. Therapies are available but I think aren't included in the price, which I don't know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children