Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Where do babies come from?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 11:33 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I wasn't so technical about it. I told DD that the doctors had taken her out of my belly and showed her the scar. It was the truth, just not the whole truth.

I wouldn't want DD to know that "the doctor cuts the mommy open" to get the baby out. I think that would be traumatizing for DD to hear. I obviously have no reason hiding that I had a C, and explaining it to her. But I think the idea of being cut open can be scary.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:18 am
smss wrote:
Rutabaga wrote:
Quote:
DD was born via c-section. When she was 3ish, she asked that question and I showed her the scar. That made a lot of sense to her because she knew that a baby grows in a mommy's belly.

I know it was a cop-out, but I will tell her more accurate information if she asks again when she is older. And if she doesn't ask, I plan to have "The Talk" before she gets her period.

I think it's sort of a chaval for a kid's first answer to "how does the baby come out" to be "by a c-section." just my personal feeling.

Agreed. I would never tell a child that this is the default way that babies are born. Any more than I would tell a child who had to be born using forceps or vacuum that this is th default. ("Well sweetie, when the baby is ready to come out, the doctor takes a tool that looks like a huge pair of pliers, and grabs the baby's head and pulls it out of the ima's tummy.")

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:59 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
I think it's easier to answer girls, than boys. I tell my boys, ages 8 and 9 that when the baby is ready, the doctor helps it come out from where it comes out. And then I'm vague. I don't think my boys need to learn about vag*nas so young.

I agree.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 12:11 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I feel the same way, but I'm wondering, what do you tell a little kid if they see a package of tampons or sanitary pads and ask what they are?

Honestly I just say it's something Mommy needs. I guess I am sort of vague sometimes with them but never ever from a sense of shame/embarrassment/wishing they didn't ask.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:03 pm
My 9 and 7 year old girls were asking consistently about how babies are made. And they were not accepting my vague answers. So I decided to finally tell them in a matter of fact way. To which they responded with dead silence and then "that's the most disgusting thing we've ever heard!" LOL I told them when they are older they won't feel that way.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:15 pm
I totally lost trust in my mother when she told me that babies come from a special hole in the mothers stomach. She insisted that when I was 12 or so and knew better. She should have known better than to try and feed me some of the lies she fed me. And then she was annoyed when I wouldn't share what I learnt in my kallah classes and stuff thinking thats normal for mothers/daughters to talk about. Sorry, you're the one that put that wall up and I know I can never trust you about anything ever, why would I discuss it on your terms when it's only me providing info??

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 2:12 am
My 6 year old just asked me " Do babies come from your bottom?" She had this discussion with a cousin who is 2 years older than her. Our families are both on the more "sheltered" side- no tv, etc
I was wondering do I clarify her misinformation? or do I let her think that what she heard was correct?
Altogether I am annoyed that my niece is "educating my daughter" because since I am an open person, when the questions would come spontaneously, I would give my daughter an answer for her level. already now, she is having misinformation so I either have to give her more info than I would have wanted to, or let her believe the nonsense she heard from her 8 yr old cousin.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 6:13 am
So parents sometimes feel they have to lie. If the child will be upset forever about it, there's a bigger problem, especially once the child himself is parent. He may still not approve but he'll understand lol.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics