Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bought too much food!!!

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:59 am
So it's my first Pesach and DH wanted me to buy all food before Pesach to avoid buying on Pesach. His minhag. So I totally overestimated!!! I have 5 milks expiring tomorow, way too many carrots, garlic heads, apples, potatoes, melons and eggs. What can I do with all this?

busydev

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:04 am
freeze the milks. carrots and eggs can last a bit in the fridge, make carrot kugel after pesach and freeze. melons and other things that can spoil you wanna figure out how to use up asap. put them in the fridge to extend their life. make apple stuff (cake, kugel) and freeze after pesach. or slice very thin and dry for apple chips (yum)

oliveoil

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:09 am
For the apples - make apple sauce, blend and freeze. It's delicious when it's half defrosted and slushy. Or, dice and freeze and then use in an apple cake or kugel after Pesach.

Freeze the milk.

Potatoes and garlic and eggs should all be fine for a while. Keep the eggs in the fridge and the potatoes and garlic in a cool, dry place. They should keep for a couple of weeks.

Melons I would just eat. Or you can cut and freeze and use it in smoothies over the next few weeks.

Carrots... I'm clueless :-)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:10 am
SingALong wrote:
So it's my first Pesach and DH wanted me to buy all food before Pesach to avoid buying on Pesach. His minhag. So I totally overestimated!!! I have 5 milks expiring tomorow, way too many carrots, garlic heads, apples, potatoes, melons and eggs. What can I do with all this?
Put up a huge crockpot full of apples tonight for compote. Freeze tomorrow.
Make lots of potato kugel with potato and eggs tomorrow and freeze.
Melon should be cubed and stored in containers in the fridge to snack on. Each melon in a separate container so it stays fresh longer. If you have way too much, make ice pops.
Carrots, garlic and eggs last a bit longer so make sure they are refrigerated and you'll figure things out.
I'm not keen on freezing milk especially right before expiration but you can do so.

mfb

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:13 am
Make sure to mark down how much you actually used so you know a better estimate of what to buy next year

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:47 pm
you can make pudding with the extra milk & eggs ... I imagine the potato starch will be like corn starch to thicken it

if not now right after pesach

also we make matzah brei with milk & eggs & cinnamon - like french toast - it's great for the last day of pesach for those who don't gebrocht ... when it's done you sprinkle sugar or eat with raspberry preserves

hot cocoa is also good - you can make this for yom tov breakfast

abaker

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 8:03 pm
for carrots you can use for soup. cook zuccini/carrots/potatoes/onion/garlic add a little salt and blend.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:00 pm
how did it go?
I always freeze milk so I don't have to go last minute at night to the store when we run out!
we have loads of sweet potatoes and carrots, so I made a kugel out of a few and plan on making more and freezing. potatoes can be potato salad, mashed potatoes with eggs, kugel, etc.. they also keep a while, as do eggs.
you can also share with friends LOL

staten islander

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:18 pm
you can make cottage cheese by adding vinegar to the milk

Eemaof3

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:24 pm
What can we do with limes? For some dumb reason I grabbed a bag from BJs when I did my initial shop because I was grabbing lemons and oranges and I guess I went overboard with the citrus thing. I did pretty well with everything else but LIMES?!?

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:28 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
What can we do with limes? For some dumb reason I grabbed a bag from BJs when I did my initial shop because I was grabbing lemons and oranges and I guess I went overboard with the citrus thing. I did pretty well with everything else but LIMES?!?

Limeade, lime ices, lemon-lime bars.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 11:48 pm
Limes are great on fish, in guacamole, and in lots of salads.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 6:31 am
I also have tons of limes! And my juicer is back with the pesach stuff.

I guess I will use instead of lemons for salads. Maybe limeade too. I still have a lot of sugar syrup which is great for making lemonade.

I would make carrot soup with the carrots.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 6:39 am
You could juice the limes (by hand isn't so bad) and freeze the juice in small quantities in sandwich bags. Reyna Simnegar's Persian cookbook has some great recipes that call for lime juice. We love the whole roast chicken.

And, may I add that if that is the worst thing that happened on your first year of making Pesach, then you must have done a fabulous job. Kol hakavod -- you put a lot of effort into planning.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:08 am
limes are also great instead of lemon in a cheese cake ... the flavour is infused with yumm

of course you could also make margaritas
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen