Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Writing a letter of recommendation for Green Card

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 3:29 pm
My housekeeper who went back to Mexico a couple years ago wants to know if I can write her a letter of recommendation for her green card interview. I would love to help her (and maybe rehire her), but could that pose a problem for me?

Factory Girl

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:00 pm
There's nothing wrong at all. As long as ur a legal in this country. If you are not.. Then iwould tell you to stay away.

Never give up

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:12 pm
Was she illegally in the country when she worked for you?
what would you write in the recommendation letter that she is a good worker or a good person ?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:34 pm
Yes, she was here illegally. And yes, I would write that she's a good person/good worker. Her husband called me (she's still out of the country) and told me I need to attach a copy of my drivers license.
Wondering if this could pose a problem for me since I hired her. (I never asked her what her status was. I try not to ask too many questions. The stories are usually too miserable to comprehend.)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:22 pm
I wouldn't send a copy of your drivers license.. Big red flag in my opinion. I went through the process of getting a green card and I didn't need any letters of recommendations. Granted, I am not Mexican, and I didn't come into the country illegally.. But still, your drivers license has your private info on it and I wouldn't send it to them! If they wanted u to send it directly to immigration (which I doubt..) maybe that's valid.. But otherwise.. No way!!!

Never give up

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't send a copy of your drivers license.. Big red flag in my opinion. I went through the process of getting a green card and I didn't need any letters of recommendations. Granted, I am not Mexican, and I didn't come into the country illegally.. But still, your drivers license has your private info on it and I wouldn't send it to them! If they wanted u to send it directly to immigration (which I doubt..) maybe that's valid.. But otherwise.. No way!!!

I wouldnt especialy after reading this point about the drivers license, sounds like a scam

Factory Girl

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:30 pm
It's perfectly normal to ask for a drivers lincese. When I had my best friend write a recommendation letter for me to get my residency she needed to give in the copy of her lincense. Now, I don't see the problem with anyone writing a letter of recommendation on an illegals behalf but if you hired her being an illegal I can understand your you are a bit apprehensive. I would just check with an immigration lawyer to be on the safe side.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 11:39 pm
Factory Girl wrote:
It's perfectly normal to ask for a drivers lincese. When I had my best friend write a recommendation letter for me to get my residency she needed to give in the copy of her lincense. Now, I don't see the problem with anyone writing a letter of recommendation on an illegals behalf but if you hired her being an illegal I can understand your you are a bit apprehensive. I would just check with an immigration lawyer to be on the safe side.

Your best friend wasn't a stranger living in Mexico... (Even though she was a good cleaning lady, she is techinically a stranger to the op)

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 11:52 pm
<quote>I wouldn't send a copy of your drivers license.. Big red flag in my opinion. I went through the process of getting a green card and I didn't need any letters of recommendations. Granted, I am not Mexican, and I didn't come into the country illegally.. But still, your drivers license has your private info on it and I wouldn't send it to them! If they wanted u to send it directly to immigration (which I doubt..) maybe that's valid.. But otherwise.. No way!!!</quote>

I had to give two letters of recommendation when applying for my green card. From employers, rabbi, friend who is a lawyer or dr etc.
I think the letters had to be notarized they didn't ask for my license but what you can do is ask if you can send the letter directly to the office as oppose to sending them your license. Or ask if it can be headed and notarized instead.

And say she is a good person/neighbor/friend don't mention worker since if she was here and working illegally and they find out or you confirm it in the letter it may affect her green card application.

Bruria

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 12:46 am
I think it could be a problem for you if you knew she was illegal and hired her. Be careful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating