Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Strawberry shortcake recipe

mom2bsn

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:56 am
Does anyone have a recipe for Strawberry Shortcake?

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:35 am
I amde one the other week. Make 2 round 9" sponge cakes. Whip up 2 whips. put on cake on a platter, spread cream over it, put sliced strawberries on top. Put the other cake on top. Cover the whole cake in whipped cream. Put strawberry halves on top as a nice design.

If you don't want whip all over the cake, only whip up 1 whip for the inside & the top.

mom2bsn

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:56 am
where did you get a recipe for sponge cake from? I cant seem to find a normal one...

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:18 am
This recipe for strawberry shortcake is incredible, & pretty much foolproof. I have made it countless times & it's always a huge hit.

Cake:
7 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. (heaping) baking powder
5 oz. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 disposable round tins with a bit of oil.

Beat yolks, sugar, vanilla, & baking powder. Add flour & orange juice alternately, ending with flour.

Beat whites with salt on high speed until there are peaks. Gently fold whites into the yolks using a rubber spatula.

Pour batter into prepared pans & bake for 1/2 hour. Within the last 10 minutes, open oven once to alternate the pans. Let cake cool.

Cream:
Beat up 1-16 oz container of whip topping, until stiff & fluffy. Add 1/4 c. confectioners sugar.

Strawberries:
Slice 1 box of fresh strawberries thinly. I always have some extra strawberries which I use to decorate the top.

To assemble the cake:
Turn 1 cake upside down. (it should come out of the pan pretty easily.) Spread cream on top thinly. Layer sliced strawberries on top of the cream. Turn cake #2 upside down on the counter & spread a thin layer of cream. Flip cake onto the 1st cake, so that the strawberries are sandwiched between 2 thin layers of cream. Top is now without cream. Repeat the process with the last cake. Put cream thickly on the sides & top of the cake. Decorate the top with strawberries & cream using a pastry bag (if you feel like it!).

Hope the directions are clear. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Very Happy

SleepingBeauty

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:28 am
I do basically the same recipe, with one addition. I add a strawberry sauce, it makes it heavenly. You don't have to search for the strawberry taste!

I take a bag of frozen strawberries and blend with 1/4 c conf. sugar. put into a pot and bring to a boil for a few min. cool.
I layer it in my trifle bowl. cake, strawberries(lots), whip, sauce (not too much, cuz then it gets mushy. should be saucy but not like soup.) I assemlbe right before meal, so it doesn't get soggy.

YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM.......... enjoy!

mom2bsn

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:49 am
thnx everyone..I have been craving strawberry shortcake!!

amommy

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 9:44 am
greeneyes wrote:
This recipe for strawberry shortcake is incredible, & pretty much foolproof. I have made it countless times & it's always a huge hit.

Cake:
7 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. (heaping) baking powder
5 oz. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 disposable round tins with a bit of oil.

Beat yolks, sugar, vanilla, & baking powder. Add flour & orange juice alternately, ending with flour.

Beat whites with salt on high speed until there are peaks. Gently fold whites into the yolks using a rubber spatula.

Pour batter into prepared pans & bake for 1/2 hour. Within the last 10 minutes, open oven once to alternate the pans. Let cake cool.

Cream:
Beat up 1-16 oz container of whip topping, until stiff & fluffy. Add 1/4 c. confectioners sugar.

Strawberries:
Slice 1 box of fresh strawberries thinly. I always have some extra strawberries which I use to decorate the top.

To assemble the cake:
Turn 1 cake upside down. (it should come out of the pan pretty easily.) Spread cream on top thinly. Layer sliced strawberries on top of the cream. Turn cake #2 upside down on the counter & spread a thin layer of cream. Flip cake onto the 1st cake, so that the strawberries are sandwiched between 2 thin layers of cream. Top is now without cream. Repeat the process with the last cake. Put cream thickly on the sides & top of the cake. Decorate the top with strawberries & cream using a pastry bag (if you feel like it!).

Hope the directions are clear. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Very Happy

I tried it. it soooooooooooooooo delicious!!!

lollygirl

Post Sat, Aug 20 2011, 11:05 pm
I always make green eyes recipe! It's the best!!!

greeneyes

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 10:39 pm
I love that strawberry shortcake recipe! So glad you tried it and enjoyed it. Smile

zashi

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 12:59 pm
Hi just saw this recipe - I want to make it but I see there is no oil is there really no oil in this cake? please post a reply to let me know

beckster

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 12:25 pm
If I double this recipe will it be enough to make two 9x13s?

faigyl

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 10:00 pm
Should I refrigerate this cake?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 11:37 pm
yes - once the whip & strawberries are on it ... put it in the fridge

faigyl

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:12 am
tnx
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins