Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Buying in Israel (APT) and NBN benefits

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 10:17 am
Does anyone know if NBN benefits help you be able to buy an apt in Israel? Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the percentage that you need for a down payment. what is the range for a down payment for an apt in Yerushalyim? I'm interested to hear what a simple 3 bedroom can go for and what a more (newer) 3 bedroom can cost? All help appreciated!!! Trying to work out an aliyah plan! Thanks Smile

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 2:30 pm
NBN doesn't give benefits, the government does. NBN gives grants, sometimes. The oleh mortgage benefit rate is not always better than what the banks are offering.

TzipG

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 3:16 pm
You need 30-40% of the cost of the apt as a down payment. Prices vary greatly depending on the neighborhood in Y-m, so if you can give us some direction that would help.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 3:25 pm
NBN sometimes gives a small grant to help with Aliyah. It has nothing to do with buying or not buying an apartment, and in the past years it has been a very small amount (like about $1,000 for a family) if at all. (Unless you go as part of one of their targeted programs like the Go North program a few years ago) The Israeli government gives certain benefits to Olim including cash payments, which are unconnected to purchasing an apartment. They give rental assistance for a few years as well, but the only benefit as far as I know with regard to buying is a special mortgage that is available, and as Marion said, it is not always better than the regular mortgages available from the banks. Their are certain tax breaks for buying appliances and a/c within the first 3 years of Aliyah as well. (Although their are very specific restrictions as to what appliances they apply to, etc.)

mrs.morah

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:14 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Ok - so how much would it be for a 2/3 bedroom in the Sanhedria/Ramat Eshkol area. What are the cheaper areas to live? can anyone give me any ideas of neighborhhoods/prices??

amother

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 4:54 pm
mrs.morah wrote:
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Ok - so how much would it be for a 2/3 bedroom in the Sanhedria/Ramat Eshkol area. What are the cheaper areas to live? can anyone give me any ideas of neighborhhoods/prices??

I am sorry but I have to be brutally honest here. I have read your past posts (I have a pretty much photographic memory). You will most likely not be able to afford to buy an apartment in any place in Jerusalem, and especially not in Ramot Eshkol. Ramat Eshkol and Ma'alot Dafna, while being probably great places to live as a young married couple, are for people who are generally being supported by money from overseas. They are extremely expensive, and if you are asking about relying on grants from NBN to help you buy.. well, not to blow you out of the water, but that is just NOT realistic. If you are lucky, NBN might just about cover the lift. Or maybe two months rent. Sal Klita will give you a little longer.
The days of NBN giving thousands of dollars in grants for families are OVER. The days of coming here and being able to rely on Sal Klita and/ or help from NBN are pretty much over too. It is not realistic to come and think you might be able to afford an apartment on the grant from NBN.
If you want an Aliya plan- from my experience, here it is (I have been here about 18 months).
1) Learn Hebrew.
2) Find a good job, pref before you come.
3) Realize that you cannot rely on the government to ever bail you out. No WIC, no FS, no TANf. Nothing.
4) Realize you will spend a long time dealing with beaurocracy in Israel (I recall a previous post of yours.. just pointing it out in regards to that) and being in lots of government offices
5) Figure out an affordable place to live. Ramat Eshkol and places around there= not affordable.

Please. Be realistic when making aliya. Thinking that a NBN grant will help you buy an apartment smacks to me of someone who has not done any real research.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 5:00 pm
mrs.morah wrote:
Here are some numbers for ramat eshkol: http://www.yad2.co.il/Nadlan/s.....Info= I would not say cheap exactly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions