Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Please help me, I'm so confused!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

November

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 7:38 am
DrMom wrote:
Nahariya is very lovely.

I've only been there on vacation, not to live. We had a hard time locating kosher eateries, but maybe we weren't "in the know" about all the places to eat.

Don't recall a particularly high tattoo ratio...

Nahariya has lots of kosher and even mehadrin places to eat on the midrachov, including a dairy restaurant called Hagalil which is Chatam Sofer.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 7:43 am
Just remembered that I heard nice things abiut the chabad rabbu in Nahariya. There is a hesder yeshiva there. If you want pm me and I can connect you to some Nahariya people.

SacN

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 8:26 am
PM me too! I have a good friend who lived there for two years. I'm sure she'd love to share her experiences.

wispalover

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 8:35 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, we're in Nahariya. WAY up north! Thanks so much for the invite, you're really sweet.

My friends parents (also Chabad) moved there and still live there I believe! Would you like me to connect with them?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 8:52 am
Have you heard of Pardes Chana? It's a small agricultural town near Hadera. It has a train station.

From what you describe about yourself it might be worth looking into.

There is a growing Garin Torani community there I think.

There seems to be lots of young families and its probably reasonably priced.

I don't know much about the community there but I go shopping there sometimes and I do see a fair number of frum, Torani young families.

Hatzlacha with it all.

wispalover

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:18 am
BTW- one thing I have heard about Nahariya is that there is a significantly raised cancer risk from living in Nahariya. Not to dissuade you- and I do not even know is if it still accurate OR relevant- but I know there was a mega amount of Asbestos in the area (not sure when/ how/ details of it getting there).

It is something you might want to look into before committing to living there.

(If this is inappropriate information, please feel free to report or delete and I will message FF privately)

spinkles

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:33 am
I believe Nahariya's Chabad shaliach was unexpectedly niftar not long ago; maybe that's why you're having trouble reaching them?

mo5

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:42 am
chana_f wrote:
I believe Nahariya's Chabad shaliach was unexpectedly niftar not long ago; maybe that's why you're having trouble reaching them?

He was-a week before Purim. Unbelievable family though.

happymom4

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:05 am
Why do you sound like a move is permanent? Stay in "C" for now & if you feel the need to change, move! Adjusting to a new country is hard enough without feeling like you are in a miserable dirty or judgmental neighborhood!
Relax & enjoy!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:51 am
you should check out immanuel

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 4:18 pm
OK, had a busy day today. We went to see the apartment, and it is beyond amazing. It's so clean, it's hard to believe that two people and two dogs lived there for over 3 years. The kitchen looks like it's never been cooked in, I couldn't find a crumb. It's not because of Pesach either, because the couple are not religious at all. Lovely view of the beach from the merpeset off the living room, jaccuzi tub in the second bathroom, and an option to buy some or all of the furniture. ALL appliances are included in the base price, including closets! Surprised

DD and I spent the rest of the day at the beach, and it was magical. My legs and feet were swollen and aching from walking all over town today, but the second my feet hit the water all my pain melted away in an instant. After two hours of playing in the water with DD, I felt better than I have in years. Very Happy If getting rid of the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue means a higher risk someday of maybe getting cancer from asbestos years down the road - well, I'll take the chance. I need my quality of life NOW!

My unbelievably sensory seeking kid was in heaven at the beach. She could run, scream, throw sand, splash, and roll around to her heart's content, and no one looked at her funny. No one told her to settle down or behave, and the look on her face was pure joy.

DH found the Chabad shul, and got us an invite for Shabbos dinner. It's a long walk from the apartment, but there may be another Orthodox shul closer by, we just don't know where it is. If anyone knows of an Orthodox shul near 42 HaAliya, please let me know!

I just sent an email to the Evan Shoham school to try and get an interview for DD. If all goes well, then we'll put down a deposit on the apartment.

As some of you have pointed out, and DH agrees, we can always move to Tzfat after a year if we decide that this is not the right community. In the meantime, we'll have a gorgeous place a block from the beach, so really, how bad can it be?

Oh, and concerning the "bummy" people I saw? It turns out we had wandered into the part of town where the rebellious, secular ARAB boys hang out, looking to hook up with hot Russian chicks. LOL! I just hope that DD doesn't think that she can start wearing crop tops and getting her navel pierced for her bas mitzvah. shock

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, had a busy day today. We went to see the apartment, and it is beyond amazing. It's so clean, it's hard to believe that two people and two dogs lived there for over 3 years. The kitchen looks like it's never been cooked in, I couldn't find a crumb. It's not because of Pesach either, because the couple are not religious at all. Lovely view of the beach from the merpeset off the living room, jaccuzi tub in the second bathroom, and an option to buy some or all of the furniture. ALL appliances are included in the base price, including closets! Surprised

DD and I spent the rest of the day at the beach, and it was magical. My legs and feet were swollen and aching from walking all over town today, but the second my feet hit the water all my pain melted away in an instant. After two hours of playing in the water with DD, I felt better than I have in years. Very Happy If getting rid of the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue means a higher risk someday of maybe getting cancer from asbestos years down the road - well, I'll take the chance. I need my quality of life NOW!

My unbelievably sensory seeking kid was in heaven at the beach. She could run, scream, throw sand, splash, and roll around to her heart's content, and no one looked at her funny. No one told her to settle down or behave, and the look on her face was pure joy.

DH found the Chabad shul, and got us an invite for Shabbos dinner. It's a long walk from the apartment, but there may be another Orthodox shul closer by, we just don't know where it is. If anyone knows of an Orthodox shul near 42 HaAliya, please let me know!

I just sent an email to the Evan Shoham school to try and get an interview for DD. If all goes well, then we'll put down a deposit on the apartment.

As some of you have pointed out, and DH agrees, we can always move to Tzfat after a year if we decide that this is not the right community. In the meantime, we'll have a gorgeous place a block from the beach, so really, how bad can it be?

Oh, and concerning the "bummy" people I saw? It turns out we had wandered into the part of town where the rebellious, secular ARAB boys hang out, looking to hook up with hot Russian chicks. LOL! I just hope that DD doesn't think that she can start wearing crop tops and getting her navel pierced for her bas mitzvah. shock

So this is completely off topic - but just to get you excited about living in EY. Here in EY even the most secular Jews clean for Pesach.
It sounds like you really like Nahariya, which is great, but maybe you should look for an apartment closer to a shul and community that would suit you. You want to be part of a community that invites people over shabbat, a place DD can go to friends easily, at 11 she should be able to go to friends alone in a small town like Nahariya, so you want someplace conveniant for friends to come to her as well. I would research shuls a bit more before I close with an apartment. I'm sure there are apartments just as great out there, perhaps closer to a shul and community you would enjoy.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:10 pm
Here is a list of all shuls in Nahariya according to Nusach (they are all Orthodox). Maybe give the list to your realtor and see if he/she can find something near a shul, and then investigate the shul.
http://www.kipa.co.il/synagogu.....D7%94
another list on the municipality's website, may be more comprehensive
http://www.nahariya.muni.il/se......aspx

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:23 pm
OK so I started putting some of the addresses of the Ashkenazi shuls (assuming DH is Ashkenaz since he is chabad and American, I may be wrong of course) and you've got two Ashkenazi shuls, one is a community center on Rechov Yavne which is 9 minutes walk from your potential place. Check them out on Yavne 2 and 4. There should also be one on Hameyasdim at 16 minutes walk.
Good luck

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:31 pm
Thanks, I'll have DH check those out. Sephardi is fine too. In the US we daven by a Rhodesli Sephardi shul and we love the nusach there. DH davened with the Moroccan Sephardi shul over Pesach, and it was just like being at home.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:33 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Here is a list of all shuls in Nahariya according to Nusach (they are all Orthodox). Maybe give the list to your realtor and see if he/she can find something near a shul, and then investigate the shul.
http://www.kipa.co.il/synagogu.....D7%94
another list on the municipality's website, may be more comprehensive
http://www.nahariya.muni.il/se......aspx

Yipes, do any of those sites have an English option? embarrassed DH might be able to read them, but I can't!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:48 pm
The asbestos thing would be very concerning to me. Maybe you should look into it further...

spinkles

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 5:56 pm
FranticFrummie, I don't know if you have rudimentary Hebrew or not, but if you do know a little, you could probably figure out the list. It's basically 3 columns (the 4th column just says the name of the city, which is the same for all of them). Names of the shuls are on the far right, nusach is in the next column over (moving to the left), location is in the next column over (again, moving to the left). Keep in mind that in EY many of the shuls are small and are just for davening; if you're used to a shul that's more of a place to get to know people and become part of the community, you'll have to ask around a bit.

ETA: I just looked at the second site, which I had missed before. Wow. The pictures they posted of the shuls...gorgeous. Not what I was picturing at all. My experience living in a near-the-beach neighborhood in EY was of a lot of neighborhood "shtiebels" (for lack of a better word, although the majority were not ashkenaz type places so shtiebel doesn't seem right), with just a few more official type shuls. The fancy look of those shuls doesn't match with what I was expecting. Hopefully someone who knows Nahariya can direct you better!

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:12 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
So this is completely off topic - but just to get you excited about living in EY. Here in EY even the most secular Jews clean for Pesach.
It sounds like you really like Nahariya, which is great, but maybe you should look for an apartment closer to a shul and community that would suit you. You want to be part of a community that invites people over shabbat, a place DD can go to friends easily, at 11 she should be able to go to friends alone in a small town like Nahariya, so you want someplace conveniant for friends to come to her as well. I would research shuls a bit more before I close with an apartment. I'm sure there are apartments just as great out there, perhaps closer to a shul and community you would enjoy.

THIS!!! You're looking for a home, not a vacation rental. Remember that summers here are HOT! You don't want to schlepp miles to and from shul on Shabbat. And where is the school? DD may want to be near friends.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 1:56 am
Don't mean to put a dampener on things but, I would really be careful to live 'anywhere' in a town in Israel. IMO you really need to find where the community are and either move in there or at least be very near to it.
If you live out of the area where the community are it may be hard for you to integrate and you may be considered living 'out'. They may have their own eruv for example etc.. .

There may be many shuls in Nahariya, but a shul in Israel does not mean a community, it may just be a place to daven and may even not be that religious. You may end up being quite isolated.

I'm just speaking from personal experience.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions